Revolver Lesson:

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Introduced a group of new shooters to the handgun. Very basic stuff. Some classroom time, then to the range with our 22 semi-autos. Everyone is getting those just fine. Time to move to the revolver, in this case a 38/357 Model 19 Smith & Wesson.

Pow, pow, pow, good hits with the 38's, all is proceeding according to plan. Some comments:

"This is HEAVY." :roll:

"Where did the cases go? I didn't see them fly out of the gun." :wink:

"Does my thumb cocker go here?" :shock:

"Tell me again about the speedy loader thingee."

"Can you make my husband buy me one?" (y)

"Suddenly I hate my 9mm!" (y)

Yup, a class of women who had done little or no shooting, and the revolver was entirely new to them. Folks, we've got a couple of generations of shooters now, who know nothing about the wonderful revolver. I keep teaching 'em a few at a time.

Guy

Guy Miner":3bqt4vhi said:
Introduced a group of new shooters to the handgun. Very basic stuff. Some classroom time, then to the range with our 22 semi-autos. Everyone is getting those just fine. Time to move to the revolver, in this case a 38/357 Model 19 Smith & Wesson.

Pow, pow, pow, good hits with the 38's, all is proceeding according to plan. Some comments:

Yup, a class of women who had done little or no shooting, and the revolver was entirely new to them. Folks, we've got a couple of generations of shooters now, who know nothing about the wonderful revolver. I keep teaching 'em a few at a time.

Guy
Thats the truth Guy. Im only 32 years old and no one i know my age has one lol. They all have the plastic semi autos. Which im not bashing they are great guns without a doubt. These are the only handguns i own.
Ruger single six in 4 5/8"
S&W 442 2"
Colt python 4"
S&W 29 8 3/8"
Im just more comfortable with the wheel guns. Ive carried them as a kid running coon traps, and hunting deer all my life.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's hard to argue with the flat, little, 9mm semi-autos for easy concealed carry, but they're often not very easy for beginners to shoot well. Often have tiny sights, slides that are tough to operate, triggers can be good or bad, and the danged things are just tough to hang onto. I like my little 9mm Kahr, and I like most of the other small 9's on the market, but...

I much prefer to teach folks, using a full size 22 pistol.

And I make sure I show 'em the double-action revolver, how simple it is to load, unload and handle. A lot of folks have no idea how nice a good revolver can be. The lady who tried my S&W Model 19 and declared that she suddenly hated her 9mm cracked me up. Her husband had bought it for her, and she'd struggled with it... But took to the revolver so well.

Guy

Have to agree with the negative aspects of small 9MM semi autos. Shooting one with self defense loads is an "art". With the amount of recoil that is generated you had better hope your target is close. As far as the female gender handling a full house load in a small 9 that is going to be a great way to turn off their interest in shooting.

Guy Miner":2ej43etz said:

Guy

Funny. I’ve done a little firearms teaching years back with my old road partner and also taught some self defense classes to women. Best part was that they were brutally honest about what they didn’t know and actually paid attention to what you told them. I also found that they were easier to teach than men and some actually shot better than men with the same amount of training due to lack of preconceived opinions on how to shoot and lack of bad habits that needed to be broken.
One thing I will caution against with women and revolvers. If they plan on just carrying it in their purse I would recommend an auto pistol every time. There is too much crap in a woman’s purse to get stuck in a revolver wheel than you can shake a stick at. I carried a S&W 640 357 magnum for years in my pants pocket. You’d be surprised how easy a dime can jam up a revolver cylinder. Always used a pocket holster.

Back