Handguns for beginners..

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
At today's Basic Handgun class, I had two terrific people show up with handguns that were entirely unsuitable for their needs. They're beginning handgunners. Good people, but unused to shooting a handgun.

#1 had a 40 S&W Kahr, a relatively light, compact, self-defense firearm.

#2 had a classic, 30 year old 380 AMT pocket pistol/belly gun

Neither student could shoot either of those things worth a hoot! No surprise. The 40 in that lightweight gun kicks like a mule. The AMT 380 kept trying to take bites out of the web between thumb and forefinger of the other student.

I stopped the madness quickly, and substituted my old faithful Ruger 22/45 with 40 grain CCI ammo.
wO8zurol.jpg

Wow... Within a few shots, each of them was shooting nice, TIGHT, groups... Really nice, TIGHT groups.

Shoot a gun that doesn't kick the snot out of you, particularly if you're a beginner. Results will be better. If you've got someone who wants teaching... Consider handing them your 22, not your hot-loaded 44... Learn gun safety. Learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. Then, when all that is solid, consider bumping up to a more powerful handgun. But not until then. Please.

Thanks, Guy

Sound advice given there Guy!
Eloquent as ever!
Great job, by the way.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Sound advice, for sure, Guy. I've pushed .22s to a number of people. Need another for my own use, I do believe.

Ruger 22/45 and mkIII are the two pistols I start everyone out with. Recently picking up a Ruger SR22 for my wife. She never did really care for the mkIII.

It’s never a good idea to start anyone out with anything too small or to powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After starting someone on a .22 pistol, I move them up to a .38 Special to try out. The mildest loads don't produce a lot of recoil. Then you can work up to full defense loads in .38 Special, and still not have a fire breathing dragon strapped to your hand.
In Texas, when you qualify, you have to have a .380 or larger. They want you to qualify with something you'd be more likely to use in a concealed manner.
But, I like the .38 Special, because it exactly that. SPECIAL! Accurate, mild to shoot, down right lethal to receive.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

My wife bought herself a Browning Buckmark, but so far has been disappointed with the accuracy of a handgun...she was expecting it to able to shoot groups like her scoped 10/22. Still working on it with her.
I had previously been thinking that a revolver in 38 Special would be good for her...but since she would rather shoot her rifles, I don't think she will be moving forward in handguns.

For those new to handguns, I would try first determine what their goals and desires in having a handgun was first, before moving to get them to try various makes and models in order to find those that fit their hands well, in cartridges that they were interested in. I would then ask them about the weight of the pistol or revolver, if they had not already commented on it.
Since we are restricted to calibers and not able to carry or hunt with them here in Canada, (9mm is the most popular in pistols, and 38/357 in revolvers; after the 22's) a discussion on weight and how it affects recoil and accuracy, usually took the lightweight handguns out of the picture.
For the youth and smaller ladies, with smaller hands and less arm and wrist strength, the weight was more of a concern; but when they were looking at the 22's, was less of a concern.

A good, experienced handgun salesperson is probably to biggest bonus in those new to handguns in selecting the right first purchase. Unless of course, they have been using the services of a good trainer, and trying various handguns prior to buying their first handgun!

Back