Varminting with a Handgun

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
This year I have taken two coyotes on separate occasions with handguns! Man it’s fun to experience!

The first sometime back was taken with a single shot to the lungs at about 25 yards with my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum and PMC 158 grain JSP factory loads.

The second was taken last week with my Ruger Mark III .22 shooting Remington 40 grain Thunderbolts at about the same distance.

Anyone else out there doing any varmint or big game hunting with their handguns?
c54851f88082a2be6721c8a742bd15d7.jpg
38055516368fd5babcbb9a292093af48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A while back the area I was deer hunting had an influx of coyotes and I decided to see if I could help eliminate the problem. At 7:30AM on a damn cold morning (12 degrees) I took my old Ruger Super Blackhawk out and sat in full camo over an area that had quite a lot of coyote tracks (snow on the ground) It wasn't but 20 minutes I had movement catch my attention. The coyote crossed directly in front of me roughly 20 feet away and one shot literally blew him over. Quite a nice pelt. I set up in the same area on a few more occasions but had no luck and I also noticed that the tracks became much fewer in number. I figured maybe a male/female had been hunting the area and after eliminating the male the female decided to leave for greener pastures. Over the years a number of deer fell to the same handgun. At close range a .44 handgun does quite the trick!

Targets of opportunity with weapons of opportunity, gotta like that.
I came through your area on my way to Corvallis the other day. Planned on swinging by but lost an hour trying to change a tire for some gal. Never seen such messed up lug nuts. Pissed off and bleeding I headed west forgetting my plan.
Have a great Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't taken any critters with my handguns recently.

In the past yes.

I know ol' JD338 does some hunting with his handguns!

Guy

Back