New SAAMI Specs for .45 Auto Cartidge

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... -acp/99214

I know I´m behind a little on cartridge news, because I just saw in a magazine article that SAAMI upped the pressure for the .45 Auto from 18,000 to 21,000 psi. for regular loads, and they upped the SAAMI +P to 23,000 psi.
I know that doesn't seem like much, but look at the handload table a little further down in the article.
230 gr bullets moving along at 1050 fps or a little more?!? WOW[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
I think that's a good change. It made something good, into something great.
Along with bullet tech upping the performance of the old warhorse, and making it equal to the .357 magnum in performance is astonishing.
I´m glad they put a little more life back into a great cartridge.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":251r84p0 said:
Oh, now that's interesting...

Thanks!
Guy,

Out of anyone on this forum, I thought you would be most pleased with this info.
I´m surprised it hasn't been more advertised, or more talked about by the egghead gun scribes.
It´s still not a high pressure pistol.round, by far, but then again, it doesn't need to be.
I´m surprised, and.pleased as punch.

Hawk

I've thought several times about using one of my 1911's as a 45 Super - that seems really easy to do.

But I dunno - I'm pretty fond of the good ol' 45 ACP as it is.

Selected 230 grain bonded hollowpoint +P Federal for our duty ammo at the PD. That stuff churned up 915 fps from my 5" Kimber 1911. Bucked pretty good in hand, easy to tell it wasn't the 800 - 850 fps ball ammo we used for practice.

Worked GREAT on a bad guy at close range to. Bad guy had been shooting and missing (thankfully) with his 380 pistol, trying to kill the officers and avoid arrest on a warrant. Well, one shot with the 45 took out everything important in his chest, and took him out of the fight instantly. We recovered the spent bullet, actually just sitting there on the couch behind where Mr. Bad Guy had been. The bullet had used up so much energy and velocity, expanding well and ending the fight, that it didn't even penetrate the couch cushion! I thought that was pretty much outstanding performance.

Guy

Guy Miner":3nv5m210 said:
I've thought several times about using one of my 1911's as a 45 Super - that seems really easy to do.

But I dunno - I'm pretty fond of the good ol' 45 ACP as it is.

Selected 230 grain bonded hollowpoint +P Federal for our duty ammo at the PD. That stuff churned up 915 fps from my 5" Kimber 1911. Bucked pretty good in hand, easy to tell it wasn't the 800 - 850 fps ball ammo we used for practice.

Worked GREAT on a bad guy at close range to. Bad guy had been shooting and missing (thankfully) with his 380 pistol, trying to kill the officers and avoid arrest on a warrant. Well, one shot with the 45 took out everything important in his chest, and took him out of the fight instantly. We recovered the spent bullet, actually just sitting there on the couch behind where Mr. Bad Guy had been. The bullet had used up so much energy and velocity, expanding well and ending the fight, that it didn't even penetrate the couch cushion! I thought that was pretty much outstanding performance.

Guy
Holy Cow!
That's the perfect load right there. Can't argue with that at all.
.45 ACP is darned good as it is.

Hawk

Hawk - what .45 bullets do you think would do well on dangerous stuff, like bears, with the good ol' 1911 and the new pressure limits?

I'm afraid that most "good" 45 bullets have been designed to expand on human targets at 850 fps or so.

Thanks, Guy

Guy Miner":y7ggjep3 said:
Hawk - what .45 bullets do you think would do well on dangerous stuff, like bears, with the good ol' 1911 and the new pressure limits?

I'm afraid that most "good" 45 bullets have been designed to expand on human targets at 850 fps or so.

Thanks, Guy
Hey Guy!

I've read that using premium handgun bullets of 230 gr or more will work just fine for the nasty brutes. Apparently, up in Alaska, a lot of locals carry .45 ACP's with heavy bullets and are quite comfortable with using it as a self defense firearm against any big grizz.
I don't think it would hurt to use 250 gr up to 300 gr bullets against the grizz, with the extra fps that the new SAAMI specs offer.
Hope this helps.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me.

Seems to me that there's a Col Jeff Cooper quote re the 45 "coming on like a well-trained rhinoceros." Or something like that, when loaded appropriately.

Guy

Guy Miner":9z5by3li said:
Sounds good to me.

Seems to me that there's a Col Jeff Cooper quote re the 45 "coming on like a well-trained rhinoceros." Or something like that, when loaded appropriately.

Guy
I would have to agree with that statement! LOL

HAWK

Guy Miner":2rvkdu30 said:
Sounds good to me.

Guy
I would have to agree with that statement! LOL

HAWK

Back