Ruger SBH 44 Mag

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Took out the Ruger SBH 7.5" 44 Mag today with some 240g XTPs and 24g of H110. Tried getting it on paper at 50 yards with no success. It's already zeroed at 25 yards so I didnt think itd be to hard, but I didnt even hit the target the 3 times I shot at it. So I moved to 25 yards and put the next 7 shots into center mass in a 10" group. This was with open sights, standing with both hands. I know its capable of better accuracy than that, but dang that thing is a knuckle buster! Cut my finger on the trigger guard. I was done shooting it after only 10 rounds. I think I need to invest in some shooting gloves, and a lot more practice! Thinking about scoping it as well. Would like to take a deer with it one of these days. Looking at pistol scopes and mounts, doing a bit of research. Leaning towards a weigand base, with some good scope rings, and either a 4x leupold or a 2-6x or 2-7x variable. Thoughts?

Jorey,
I had a Ruger SBH years ago. The pistol would roll upward in my hand during recoil so I put on a bigger Pachmyer grip that I could hang on to. Made a big difference for me. I sold it and bought a S&W 629 Classic. It has a Leupold 4x on it and accuracy is scary with a Nosler 240 gr JHP and 23.5 grs H110. That load is a hammer on deer!

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20170409_122154200.jpg
    IMG_20170409_122154200.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 707
Roger that. I like the Super Blackhawk, BUT, for me - when I start shooting stout loads that grip shape just doesn't work for me. Like JD338 mentioned it would "roll upward in my hand." Same experience as mine. No problem with lighter loads, but with full power loads, even after swapping to larger Pachmayer grips - it still just didn't feel right.

Tried a 629... Ah... :) I've had a couple of different 629's over the years but have been stuck on my 5" 629 Classic for quite a while now. Accurate. Easy for me to shoot, even with full-power loads. The gun just fits me better.

I too am thinking about scoping it and hunting more with it. That would be just peachy! I do shoot it pretty well with the factory sights though.

Regards, Guy

Back