Minimum chambering for defense?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What is it and what load would you use in it?

:?

Minimum for self defence?
Well, it depends. For light duty, it could be a beretta .32 Tomcat, or singlestack .380/9x18mm.

For general carry, a very non-descript double stack in the 9mm to 10mm range, with Modern Hollowpoints. Xtps, golddots, ect.

Vehicle defense, in places where it's legal, the above plus an innocent looking carbine, such as Marlin .41/.44 Magum. Load the carbine with a "hunting" bullet such as 240gr nosler HP.

Self defence at home: Minimum of 20 gage and the above mentioned carbine. Preferably replace the 20 with a 12, and the above carbine with with an AR, FN/FAL or something of that nature. The shotgun should have about a number one buck, unless your in an apartment, in which case it should be Pheasant shot. The carbine should be loaded with a good "deer" bullet.

For concealed purposes I would not go below a .380acp but would prefer a 9mm in a +P or +P+. Most of my concealed carry is done with a .38spcl +P, .40S&W with 180 grain gold dot or a .357mag with a 125 grain jhp.

POP":2iot8lr2 said:
What is it and what load would you use in it?

:?

If you are going to carry for self defense carry a man stopper, 45 ACP.
I'm looking at the Kimber Tactical Pro Carry and plan on using Federal 230 gr Hydrashocks.

JD338

Minimum for self defense - 9mm, if you really value your life.

Anything less is "marginal: IMO.

I've got a Kahr 9mm with a synthetic frame. It weighs all of 16oz and it is extremely small for use when size matters. :lol: It's chambered in 9mm and can easily handle the hottest loads. It is also available in 40 S&W but I am told that the terminal performance from its short barrel is actually better in 9mm.

Incidently, the Kahr is an approved off-duty firearm for NYPD. They have had enough off-duty shootings with this gun in 9mm to be well aware of its effectiveness and reliability.

When size doesn't matter, I prefer a full size 40 S&W or a 45 ACP.

I think the question was "Minimun" for self defence. But considering that most of us use some kind of a SuperMagnum....30/378, 7mm STW, something with Weatherby or RUM in the name for deer an antelope, most of us would probably feel most comfortable with a 10MM, .44, .45, .460 .454, or 500 Smith when the chips are down for either us or our Family.......(not humor, ok maybe a little humor) :?

I carried my Browning BDA .380 for a while. It shoots great for a little auto but i would carry my .38,.40s, or .45 before i carry .380.

I think shot placement should be the primary consideration, a well placed shot from a .32 or .380acp will be more effective than a miss from a 500 S&W.

jibjab":36u29hqz said:
I think shot placement should be the primary consideration, a well placed shot from a .32 or .380acp will be more effective than a miss from a 500 S&W.

Very true. However a well placed shot from a 147 grain Hornady XTP from a 9mm beats a well placed shot from a 90 grain HP in a .380acp :lol:

I believe people should use what they are comfortable with and can shoot well. Most men and women should be able to shoot a 9mm comfortabley. My wife acutally shoots her Beretta PX4 9mm better then either of her .380acp. The key is to practice no matter what you carry, i.e., .32acp or .500S&W :shock:

I'm packing a 380 ACP, and here why. It's scary accurate, and fast. I went up against my CC Instructor during my qual. We got done extremely early (I qualified the 1st 5 shots), but we had to do the minimum time stated by law, so we just started popping rounds down range for fun. Him, with his "Ya really need a 40 dude" and me with my Hi Point. We were just shooting 15' at paper plates. 3 rounds, draw, shoot, timed.

He got 2 of the three into the whole plate, just under 2.4 seconds. I got 3 of 3 a gnat's hair under 2 seconds, and inside a 4" group.

Say what you will, but I learned a valuable lesson at Parris Island. Rounds down range don't count.....HITS DO ! 8)

Minimum is 9mm in my opinion but I feel more comfortable with my .45. XTP is my preferred bullet.

For my use its a Ruger 1911 Commander model with Speer Gold Dot 230GDHPs. If I or my family is threaten'd, I wish to respond in a positive manner.

Minimum for me is 9mm +P with quality bullets designed for stopping bad people (Federal HST)...

I carry a Glock 36 (45 acp) loaded with 230 grain Federal Tactical HST +P ammo...my wife carries a Springfield XDs 45 loaded with 230 grain Federal Tactical HST ammo (non +P).

Defense against people 380 acp, defense against people, 357 for critters.

My wife carries a Kahr ct-380, with ruger ARX ammo. It's light but effective with very mild recoil and easy to rack slide. A buddy of mine who is a paramedic here in anchorage carries a ruger LCP with this ammo. Our homeless tend to armor themselves in the winter with as many as 5 or more layers o f heavy carhart. This cause him to avoid standard hollow points.

I carry either a sig 290 or ruger LCR. The sig 290 is a 9mm, the LCR is a 357 mag. I normally carry the 9 around town and the 357 when I'm working. I figure a 357 with 158gr JSP will work a lot better than the 9 if I have to put down a car struck moose or caribou.

Tests have shown the 380 runs very close to 9mm with today's excellent ammo and actual shooting results have shown that with quality ammo there is little to no evidence that 40 or 45 work any better than 9mm for stopping people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunner46":2ofxphzs said:
I'm packing a 380 ACP, and here why. It's scary accurate, and fast. I went up against my CC Instructor during my qual. We got done extremely early (I qualified the 1st 5 shots), but we had to do the minimum time stated by law, so we just started popping rounds down range for fun. Him, with his "Ya really need a 40 dude" and me with my Hi Point. We were just shooting 15' at paper plates. 3 rounds, draw, shoot, timed.

He got 2 of the three into the whole plate, just under 2.4 seconds. I got 3 of 3 a gnat's hair under 2 seconds, and inside a 4" group.

Say what you will, but I learned a valuable lesson at Parris Island. Rounds down range don't count.....HITS DO ! 8)

Gunner, you do get an award for dredging up a post from seven years ago! (y)

Personally, I figure if the biggest thing you can hit with is a .22 long rifle, that's what you ought to shoot. It's a lot better than slapping your assailant across the face! :grin:

Regards, Guy

Back