Nosler 48 connects again...and again.

A

Anonymous

My sheep hunt was a strikeout due to some of the worst weather the early season has seen in recent memory. Visibility on opening day was 20' and didn't improve much. On a plus note the caribou migration happened a bit early and the bou were ganged up and the hunting was phenomenal.

The new trigger in the 48 is a real pleasure to shoot in the field and has a better feel than the previous unit.

DSCN6080.jpg

The cow was shot at 255 yds from sitting- the bullet broke the shoulder and exited high lung due to the extreme uphill angle. The bou collapsed in its tracks.

DSCN6087.jpg

This small bull was shot at 110 yds kneeling after a long stalk with a double lung shot. It staggered 5 or 6 steps and collapsed.

I used Nosler Trophy Grade ammo with 180gr AB. Didn't recover a single fragment and performance was perfect. Extremely accurate, complete straight line penetration and huge exits.

Good year so far.

Nothing wrong with a fine caribou cow. Sorry about the weather, but that is the way it goes so often in northern climes. Your son certainly looks happy just to be there. He'll shortly be sneaking Dad's rifle out for a walk about. I'm pleased that the rifle performed well, and it is obvious that the ammunition is going to work just fine. Do you intend to take another time off to look for sheep?

Dr. Mike- probably not going to look for sheep again. I've only got 3 days left on the tag and the weather is still pretty sketchy. I made a good stab at it for a week and had a total blast. Saw one good double broomed ram day before the opener and got some spotting scope photos, went back on the only clear day that week and couldn't find him again.

The snow line has come down considerably so I might make another crack at it if we get a break in weather but I'm not hopeful.

At this point my efforts are transitioning to caribou and moose...as much fun as sheep are to hunt they don't go very far on a table.

as much fun as sheep are to hunt they don't go very far on a table.

True, dat. Best of success in pursuing caribou and moose. Ah, the mythical moose. I need to be out, but this is a rest day and the weather is socked in right now. I'm pleased the 48 worked out for you.

Very nice! Seems like a great combo. Another plus for the 300WSM. Seems like one great cartridge. Scotty

Congratulations, that looks like some excellent meat to eat! Nice and fat and just perfect for the table.
David

Finally connected this year after a lot of tromping around in high mountains looking for a warm weather caribou.

A big bodied cow caribou at 330yds. 2 shots that hit about 3" apart in the low lungs..and done.

cariboudown.jpg

Not the best photo since I was alone at the time and doesn't do the cow justice. Checked in 114lbs at the processor...after I took the backstraps, tenderloins some of misc neck meat off.
Live weight was likely over well 250 and that's a right reasonable cow for the Interior.

This 48 is easily my favorite hunting rifle- I've got a lot of confidence in this piece of equipment.

The Nosler 48 got into the fray again- after a long wait for the caribou migration to start (they're a bit late) we decided to go to them. A long drive to the west and a push back into the mountains got us into the action.

Bad weather made for great hunting and after blowing a couple of stalks on two very nice bulls....this youngster came off the hill and got so curious about what I was he came to within 75 yds...I was certain he wanted to go home with me.

So I obliged.

Not a giant by any stretch...but prime eating as far as caribou bulls go.

I've got several more tags to fill when they move east into my area.

The boy got into the ptarmigan as well

Great trip!

Very cool! You really give that 300 a good work out, every year! Great pictures and excellent shooting!

SJB358":9f84rm37 said:
Very cool! You really give that 300 a good work out, every year!

I've got a closet full of rifles but when it's time to fill up the freezer- that .300 gets the nod. I just love that rifle and ammo combo. Excellent accuracy, and the bullet performance is just perfect up close or at the limits of my shooting ability. Still waiting to recover a bullet...maybe if I shoot something real big like an eland I'll find one. Otherwise- they're all still sailing across the tundra for all I know.

The rifle is showing it's age now and I'm considering a refinish on it before I haul it to Africa. Darn Nosler for making the perfect hunting rifle- I can't even take my others out to play!

Now, that is performance. I'm praying for some cool weather here. A little snow wouldn't hurt my feelings, either. A caribou hunt would be just right, about now. Congratulations, and congratulations to your son on the ptarmigan. Our ptarmigan are a bit scarce this year. Some cool weather would help, no doubt.

FOTIS":5podd3bs said:
Whats the load?

Nosler Trophy Grade .300WSM with 180ABs. Chronos just a hair over 2900 out of my rifle. I bought a case of them with the rifle in 2006 or 2007 and still have a box or so.

Found a half case of the "newer" ones in the black box but the ammo is the same.

Man that's nice, that young bull is going to taste great :) congratulations.

Back