Wood Rifles Don't Shoot

EOD Diver

Handloader
Dec 30, 2011
Wonder if that got anyone's attention. Anyway, just another big thank you to the Nosler guys putting the rifles together. It was a nice calm day, so thought I'd burn a couple though the 300 Win Legacy Rifle. She was already fouled out and ready to roll this morning. Three shot group measured 0.448 inch--outer edge to outer edge, which according to my math works out to 0.14" center to center! It's the best group I've ever fired in anything! Oh yeah, it was off my hunting pack with no bipod or shooting implement. Shawn, have I thanked you yet this month for that gun?
Joe

Attachments

• Legacy .14 inch.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 6,377
Yeah, those wood stocked rifles are a real pain, aren't they. Excellent accuracy for the rifle and superb riflery on your part. Congratulations.

Thanks Doc! Think I'm just about ready for elk season with those 200gr ABs! This is about the only rifle that can pry me away from my .270s. Now, just cross your fingers for the draw! Have a great weekend.
Joe

That's amazing Joe and you need to laminate that and put into your three ring binder loading book, and make one more and cut it down so you can carry it in your wallet to show people!! :shock:
David

Trust me friend, I'm going to stop by walmart today to buy a picture frame for it. No wait, maybe I'll send the wife to Michael's or Hobby Lobby to pick out a really nice picture frame. This is going on the desk next to the family photo!
Joe

:shock:

A fine group for sure. Great shooting.

Maybe a new category... Ultra sub-moa.

Ha! Nice shooting! Don't give me credit for that rifle though--I just handle the paperwork! :grin:

The thanks definitely goes to the guys in our NoslerCustom Department, they do an outstanding job on these rifles.

Joe,

Nicely done!
That is a bragging size group for sure.

JD338

Sorry to see that you have no more load development or gunsmithing to look forward too. I guess the only thing left to do is hunt with it!

There's nothing like the satisfaction of money well spent. Replace your .270's? Let's not get carried away. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Had a great weekend! Forgot to load the wife's open sight .22LR for prairie rats (wink), so she was forced to use mine with a little 4X Redfield on it. She was mad at first and struggling to learn the proper eye positioning for a scoped rifle, but got the hang of it in no time and, as usual, was dropping dogs like it was going out of style. I had her shoot my Browning BAR 30-06 and my .243 to see which she'd like to use if she draws out this year and she liked the .243 a lot more. She was crushing baseball sized rocks with it at 250yds and seems fine with the recoil, so life is good. Looks like she's coming around to this whole scoped rifle thing. Now just cross your fingers for May 8th!
Joe

EOD Diver":1ok43du2 said:
Thanks for the kind words guys. Had a great weekend! Forgot to load the wife's open sight .22LR for prairie rats (wink), so she was forced to use mine with a little 4X Redfield on it. She was mad at first and struggling to learn the proper eye positioning for a scoped rifle, but got the hang of it in no time and, as usual, was dropping dogs like it was going out of style. I had her shoot my Browning BAR 30-06 and my .243 to see which she'd like to use if she draws out this year and she liked the .243 a lot more. She was crushing baseball sized rocks with it at 250yds and seems fine with the recoil, so life is good. Looks like she's coming around to this whole scoped rifle thing. Now just cross your fingers for May 8th!
Joe

Good luck mate. I'm pulling for the Mrs and you.

Yes, they do put the rifles together extremely well. Great group, great rifle and great shooting.

Update from October of 2017:
Found some old rounds I had loaded for my 300 Win M70 super grade (the one I sold in a fit of stupidity) that used 74 grains of 7828 sc and a 180 Barnes TSX. They shot very accurately in the Legacy rifle and it’s starting to appear that the rifle will shoot just about anything well. Thank you Nosler!
V/R,
Joe

Attachments

• C11D7A9A-4302-4CD5-A66D-0CAE3D67BCC8.jpeg
    C11D7A9A-4302-4CD5-A66D-0CAE3D67BCC8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4,539
Yes the Nosler wood stocked rifles will shoot, will be doing an article on one soon but not through with load work and with my wife in daily care with brain cancer it might be a while before I can finish. I have had many wood stock rifles through the years shoot sub 5/8" groups and a few sub 1/2" groups. Yes wood stock will shoot.

EOD Diver":vsqeddnl said:
Update from October of 2017:
Found some old rounds I had loaded for my 300 Win M70 super grade (the one I sold in a fit of stupidity) that used 74 grains of 7828 sc and a 180 Barnes TSX. They shot very accurately in the Legacy rifle and it’s starting to appear that the rifle will shoot just about anything well. Thank you Nosler!
V/R,
Joe

Is that a picture of this year's cow, Joe? Mike is correct in stating that wood stocked rifles can shoot. I own one rifle with a laminate stock; all the rest are stocked with a chunk of wood. All of my rifles deliver sub-MOA, and with selected loads, most deliver 0.5 inch groups or less.

Mike, I do pray for Nancy. Always good to see your posts, though we do understand the time demands you are experiencing.

Back