Stop the M48/Vanguard Comparisons

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
It's been made very clear that the M48 is not a Vanguard, nor are the parts interchangeable. Why don't we take the energy of this topic and move it to the Wichester M70, the one and only. Wait, there's the Pre-64, Pre-war Pre-64, push-feed, Black Shadow, Classic, and Controlled Round Push Feed of the Super Shadow. These are all M70's, and just exactly how interchangeable are they? Why ae they all considered a M70?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I hope you get my point. Let the M48 be what it is...a great rifle from Nosler that fills a need.

OK.

When was the last time anyone tried to say that they were the same rifle? Last summer? The year before? It's been a while... I don't remember...

But I like your drift, the 48 is a mighty fine rifle that stands on it's own merit!

Regards, Guy

I haven't seen any around here for a long time but still get that on a couple other forums I frequent. I chalk it up to rifle envy since I usually get it after posting some photos of dime sized groups or dead critters...

Nosler's introduction of the LH action did a lot to quell it since Howa doesn't produce one under their brand or the Vanguard name- it seems to convince folks that it's a unique action and not a dressed up Howa.

Even if it resembles a Howa, who cares? That's implying there is something wrong with a Howa which is complete nonsense. Most folks who chime in on this have little to no experience with actions or shooting.

The internet is full of folks who express their "expert" opinions about things they've never tried or done. Fortunately, these people are pretty easy to weed out.

I have a Vanguard II I am reviewing.
Good, accurate rifle.
But it ain't no Nosler!

ccoker":1ggox6es said:
I have a Vanguard II I am reviewing.
Good, accurate rifle.
But it ain't no Nosler!

You're not kidding. I was at a LGS yesterday checking out various Remington 700 5R's. The fit and finish of the action, trigger, and stock fitment of each rifle was a travesty compared to the TGR. I know most Rem 5R's shoot extremely well (I had an LTR that did), but at the $1350+ price tag they were asking (they are cheaper online), we're starting to get in range for what I paid for my TGR. I consider the TGR a value compared to many similarly priced offerings I see on shelves.

Back