Try to sell me on the M48...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
No brags or opinions...Just facts please.

Why should a person buy one?

What makes them so great?

How would it be better than a full custom model 70?

To all Nosler people, employees, and fans...This is a serious question, I'm about to buy or build a rifle...and I cannot get my hands on an M48 to check it out first hand, I'm just attempting to make sure I don't make an ill informed decision is all...I'm NOT asking this to stir up a which is better debate....The cost of the M48 Custom or getting the model 70 built is a LOT of money to me (about a month or so wages)...I know the model 70 (inside, outside, forwards, backwards, and sideways), and I'd like to know the M48 before I make a final decision on which way to go.

So, with that said....Tell me, show me, explain to me.

Thank you

Handle one, and no one will have to sell you--you'll be sold. If it is chambered in a cartridge you want (and there is a good selection of cartridges) that is selling feature one. They are built with quality components and have Nosler standing behind them should there ever be a problem. I don't know that they would be "better" than a custom Model 70, but they would be comparable. Do I own one? No; but were one available in country, I just might have it. I do, on the other hand, have a few custom Model 70s that bring a smile to my face each time I handle them.

Thanks DrMike...but that's just it, I can't handle one...I've looked at pictures, read the articles, etc...The rifle will be a 30-06...that is final (heavily invested, Lapua brass, more Nosler bullets than most stores have in stock, etc)

I had a "crush" on the 280AI...and it still intrigues me...but it won't do anything the 06 won't do, and there is a far greater selection of components for the 06.

I've had one for 8 years now and in that time it's easily become my go to hunting rifle. Mine is in .300WSM. I don't baby a rifle- I hunt hard (on foot typically) and I hunt often (about 50-75 days per year) and it's held up remarkably well. The cerakote finish is well done and extremely weatherproof. The rifle is light enough to pack around all day without feeling "wispy" when you shoot offhand.

I had to have the Timney trigger replaced after an early failure of the safety. The replacement is a Rifle Basix and feels a little better to me than the Timney. Nosler had my rifle less than three days before shipping it back in time for a sheep hunt...I appreciated that customer service muscle.

Mine will shoot 3 rounds of Nosler ammunition into about 1/2" (if I have a good day) and Federal blue box almost as well. Everything else I've tried shoots about MOA. I've shot quite a lot of game with it and I've got a lot of confidence in what I can do with it. I've taken game from 80' to about 330 yards with it which is about as far as I'd really try.

I don't know that it is "better" than a custom M70 because once you get into this echelon of hunting rifle the word "better" becomes very subjective indeed.

Were I buying, it would likely be a Heritage chambered in either 35 Whelen or 9.3X62. That would work just fine for my neck of the woods. I already have beautiful Winchester Featherweights in a variety of chamberings, but my 35 Whelen is a semi-custom Ruger which would be hard to surrender, so I would just have to have two, I suppose. The 9.3X62 likely wouldn't replace my 9.3X64, but it would be another fun cartridge to work with. Yeah, I wouldn't mind having one of those fine rifles.

I already own a custom Super Grade .270 Winchester Model 70 and a Mauser custom 7mm Mag, plus an additional, semi-custom FN, High Power, in .257 Roberts. If I was to by a Nosler rifle, it would most likely be a Nosler Heritage with walnut stock. The Heritage model would match very well with the custom rifles that I already have, all of which are fancy walnut stocked. Plus the Heritage rifle is a lot of rifle for the cost and the design matches well the other custom rifles which I already have, all of which are classic in design and are set up very similar fashion to my Model 70 custom.

The other consideration with the M48 rifles is that I feel you buy a great deal of value for the money that you pay for this particular platform. The only other platform that I would rate as highly as the M48 Nosler's would be the Model 85 Sako's for about the same cost as the Nosler rifles.

Ridge,

The Nosler action is a solid design and is teamed up with a premium match grade barrel.
Nosler offers a 30 day money back guarantee, the only company I know of that offers this.
Call Shawn Finley at Nosler and discuss it with him. 800 285 3701.
The 280 AI is a fantastic round that shoots flat and hits hard. If you had a 280 AI, you just might start wondering why you would need a 30-06. ;)

JD338

I have a m48 sporter. It is my go to rifle. I took it to argentina for red stag, and there are 5 less now. Its light enough to carry all day, and I did carry it all day in the high desert of patigonia. While breaking it in it was shooting under 1/2 moa. I cant compare it to a custom model 70, cause I never shot one. I dont have any regrets about purchasing this rifle.
russ

The sporter barrel contour...is it a standard Pac Nor contour?

And if so...is it #1 or #2?

DrMike":19nhc8tu said:
Handle one, and no one will have to sell you--you'll be sold. If it is chambered in a cartridge you want (and there is a good selection of cartridges) that is selling feature one. They are built with quality components and have Nosler standing behind them should there ever be a problem. I don't know that they would be "better" than a custom Model 70, but they would be comparable. Do I own one? No; but were one available in country, I just might have it. I do, on the other hand, have a few custom Model 70s that bring a smile to my face each time I handle them.

Mike stole the words out of my mouth. I really, really, did I say really love my Model 70's, but the Nosler's are beautiful rifles and backed by the best company in our business in my opinion. I want to have one. I am sure it wouldn't be anymore special to me than my Pre64 Alaskan, but the meaning behind having a rifle built by the company that has been such a supporter to us and great to me as an individual.

Ridgerunner665":2oz9j0yh said:

Our barrel contours are not standard, but the Sporter is pretty close to the PAC NOR #3 Sporter, and our Magnum closer to the PAC NOR #4 Sporter. Our Sporter barrels measure .600" at the crown, and the magnums run .650". Depending upon the caliber, we do have some variations, but for the most part, the contours are the same within their respective categories.

Hope that helps! :grin:

Nosler4":2spsfe9k said:
Ridgerunner665":2spsfe9k said:

Our barrel contours are not standard, but the Sporter is pretty close to the PAC NOR #3 Sporter, and our Magnum closer to the PAC NOR #4 Sporter. Our Sporter barrels measure .600" at the crown, and the magnums run .650". Depending upon the caliber, we do have some variations, but for the most part, the contours are the same within their respective categories.

Hope that helps! :grin:

Thank you

Now that you know the contour wouldn't a nice 35Whelen be great for those Tenn. deer and bear that roam the Smokies? :mrgreen:

Lol...I've knocked these lil teddy bears over with 38 Spl. from a lever rifle....no need for a big boomer on this end of the country.

Yes there are a few big blackies around...but most are no more 250-300 lbs or so.

I reserve the Big Boomer Title for the Magnums. The 35 Whelen is just a nice medium bore that can carry the mail when needed or loaded light for fun from what I've read since I haven't got to shoot mine yet. Between honey do and thunderstorms I'm pressed to get out and do some shooting. Maybe tomorrow I can find some time. Oh by the way I also own 2 30-06s.

Here is the reason

IMG_1898_zpseb3dbad5.jpg

1. They are great looking, and put together well and with rifle scope and mounts it only weights 7.7 pounds.

file-118.jpg

2. It is extremely well balance and naturally fits into ones hands and shoulders quickly.

3. Extremely consistent and very accurate

10 rounds 140gr AccuBond
file-62.jpg

10 rounds 145gr Speer
file-5.jpg

3 Three rounds 140gr AccuBond
7mm08140grAccubond_zps04b8706e.jpg

20 rounds 120gr BT
IMG_8239.jpg

15 rounds 150gr BT
5348252f.jpg

another 20 rounds 150gr BT
8647e32b.jpg

I tell ya, your almost telling me I need to order one of them in a 260 Remington! HA!

SJB358":1t2gzc5y said:
I tell ya, your almost telling me I need to order one of them in a 260 Remington! HA!

I think you would have a ball with a 260 in a Nosler rifle. I love mine, it shoots about anything I put in it, just a well made and well thought out rifle and design. Nosler got it right big time.

I agree. I think I'd love a Patriot and if things line up before I retire, I would like to have one. I really dig their rifles, and their attention to service. Plus, I know where they are if I have a problem... :grin:

Back