Custom or Patriot...that is the question.

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
And I'm having a hard time deciding...mostly because of the different accuracy guarantee...3/4" vs 1".

I want all the accuracy I can get...but $2,000 for 1/4"?

I also like the Kevlar stock on the Custom better (the color)...and the steel bottom metal...and the grey Cerakote...The LOP, barrel length and all that are fine on the Patriot.

I guess what I'm asking is...is the accuracy, Kevlar, steel, and color worth $2,000?

Custom comes with choice of optik, and I would go for the lowest advertised number for groups no questions asked ! Patriot does not come with optik from what I read, to me it all depends which rifle does it for ya! I own wood and synthetic's and like them all ! Just because it might guarantee a larger group does not mean it will not do better! Every rifle is different and will shoot different but getting a dud from Nosler would probably not happen! I am sure you would be taken care of and a 1/4 inch will not cost you 2K more I think it's more ?

Ridgerunner665":3bx3rjlm said:
I guess what I'm asking is...is the accuracy, Kevlar, steel, and color worth $2,000?

Depends on who is asking. For me, no.

I have a scope already....optics are a choice on the custom...with my scope (Zeiss HD5) the Custom costs almost $4,900....minus the scope its $3,800...and the Patriot is about $1,700.

I own around 8 Weatherby rifles and guess which 1 shoots the best group so far ! The cheapest one in the cabinet with a cheap 6X Leupold :grin: 257 Vanguard SMOA and I just got lucky as the test target that came with it did not do this rifle justice but I did ! :mrgreen: but I have a Mark V that is guaranteed 1- 1.5 inch group that is really close to the Vanguards grouping? vanguard was 550.00 and the Mark V was 1800.00 and it was less than a 1/4 inch difference in group sizes ? It just depends on the rifle and the person behind it to do their job? I do not have too many wood stocks but I really like the ones I do own ! But I will say that the Vanguard will heat up 10 times faster than the Mark V so it does have it's advantages! My bad I would by them both :mrgreen:

RR, with the custom, you can get the detachable mag also. The 3/4 inch is their guarantee, but it will shoot better than that.
Russ

I would do the Patriot myself, can't afford the more expensive models. I would think you would find a great load easy with the Patriot and save the money for a hunt of some sort.

DrMike":1mquk22j said:
Ridgerunner665":1mquk22j said:

Depends on who is asking. For me, no.

Same here. That's 3/4" with their factory loads. I'd bet your own tailored ammo would do all you'd want.

Just depends... I think the stock on the Patriot and (formerly) TGR is a unit made by Bell and Carson. I'd like to say the Kevlar stock on the Custom is likely made by MPI (although they apparently aren't telling).

In a side by side comparison of a TGR with my Custom- the stock on the TGR was quite a bit thicker and it didn't have any bottom metal. The TGR was also noticeably heavier. Not sure how it would compare to the Patriot.

Of course, back when I got mine the only choices were .270, .300 or .325 WSM....or the limited NCR.

Doing it over I'd be real tempted with the Patriot instead.

I think I have talked myself down to the Patriot (I like the name, lol)...I can order the Patriot in a couple of weeks.

If any of you guys have any pics of groups from Nosler rifles, like the ones bullet posted...I'd love to see them.

Ridgerunner665":2c47tw64 said:
I think I have talked myself down to the Patriot (I like the name, lol)...I can order the Patriot in a couple of weeks.

If any of you guys have any pics of groups from Nosler rifles, like the ones bullet posted...I'd love to see them.

My notes say that's 5 rounds of 150AB over 68.5gr of RL17...@ 3250fps.

The DBM worries me for accuracy. I have never seen one that was more accurate than a one piece bottom metal rifle.

There is a store on gunbroker selling a 308 patriot for 1299. Maybe you can get a better price ordering through them.

I believe I'd rather get it directly from Nosler...the less middle men, the better....yes, I have trust issues after the recent events, lol.

Anybody know how much room the mag box has on the Patriot? How long can rounds be loaded and still fit and what is the throat like on the Nosler barrels?

I am sure that giving Nosler a call they could answer all your questions and seriously think Nosler would make any issues a non issue as I have found great Companies take care of their customers! Not knowing what caliber I would have no idea the capacity of a magazine but I have a catalog laying around here somewhere if you know what caliber ya want as I will look for ya! Shawn would take care of you I would be willing to bet :mrgreen:

If ya look in the appendix in the catalog below you will get most all your answers but I am liking the Outfitter Rifle a lot for less than 200.00 buck more but they are mostly all larger calibers which is what I would be in for myself :mrgreen: 338 WM would be real nice with a 225 gr Partition :mrgreen:
http://rifles.nosler.com/index.php?rout ... ation_id=7

Was just looking at their custom order rifles ! wow I had to get out of that section ASAP :lol:

I've talked with them twice already...but didn't think to ask these questions...don't want to bother them while they're trying to build rifles and make bullets, lol.

Back