Talley Lightweight height questions...Nosler M48 specific

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Need some thoughts on which ring height to go with a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42...really want low if they will clear the bolt handle.

Thanks

I would think that lows would work. I know mediums will work with the 44mm bell on the conquest I have on Weatherby Vanguard and they are the Tally light weight one piece ring and base. But when I doubt give Tally a call and they will be glad to answer your questions.

I called Talley about the same question and a model 70...they told me to get mediums...I got lows anyway, and they did fit fine...so I sorta lost confidence in asking them, lol.

Its not the objective end of the scope I'm worried about...its the large eyepiece (ocular) clearing the bolt throw....it cleared on the model 70 fine, just not sure about the Nosler.

With out a M48 in hand it would be hard to say since you can't check it side by side with an M70 but it should be the same if the bolt lift ( 60 degrees ) is the same.

Being a 2 lug system...I'm guessing both the 48 and the 70 are 90 degree bolt throws...it comes down to the contour of the bolt handle.

I've got a Zeiss 3-9x42 mounted in Warne Maxima 'Lows' and it fits just fine with room to spare.

I had a 3.5-10x40 Leupold in Talley Lows once upon a time and it fit as well.

Everyone always says "Mediums" by default... But I've only rarely had to go that high to make something fit and never with a sporter contour barrel.

hodgeman":33krvj47 said:
I've got a Zeiss 3-9x42 mounted in Warne Maxima 'Lows' and it fits just fine with room to spare.

Everyone always says "Mediums" by default... But I've only rarely had to go that high to make something fit and never with a sporter contour barrel.

Yeah...you're right about that (default)

The M48 will have a magnum contour barrel, and the HD5 has a pretty big ocular...I ordered lows already, if they don't fit I'll just have to exchange them....its the bolt I'm concerned about instead of the barrel.

Shawn could probably answer this...may shoot him an email if he don't see this and reply.

Ridgerunner665":1b0n6fop said:
hodgeman":1b0n6fop said:

The M48 will have a magnum contour barrel, and the HD5 has a pretty big ocular...I ordered lows already, if they don't fit I'll just have to exchange them....its the bolt I'm concerned about instead of the barrel.

Shawn could probably answer this...may shoot him an email if he don't see this and reply.

I'll do a fit-check and be back to you shortly! :grin:

SF

Nosler4":1w2d83lo said:
Ridgerunner665":1w2d83lo said:
hodgeman":1w2d83lo said:

I'll do a fit-check and be back to you shortly! :grin:

SF

Thank You...was just getting ready to email you, lol.

Yep--Talley Lightweight Low rings fit just fine. The ocular bell hangs over the back of the base a bit, but the bolt clears just fine. You will want to mount the front ring such that the ring is flipped rearward so that you can adjust for eye relief. If I was smart enough to post pictures on here, I would. I'll email them to you instead.

I have found that the Talley Lightweight rings run a little higher than other manufacturers for a given height. In this case, I don't think Leupold Low's would have cleared--but who would put Leupold rings on a Zeiss scope?? Seems wrong to me... :lol:

Hope that helps!

SF

LOL...

Thank You Shawn...I'd appreciate the pics...you've been a great help through this whole process and I appreciate it very much.

I know the rifle will be a while, and I'm ready and willing to wait for it...I'm just trying to get all the little stuff together so it will be ready when the time comes.

Maybe should have gotten the extended version...would allow a little more room for eye relief adjustment...but honestly, that looks about right to me...based on pics I have of other rifles and where I have the scopes sitting....I believe they'll work for me as is.

Thought I'd post it in case others were pondering the same question though.

Why did you post that? What a beautiful rifle!!! I really don't need to see those things I might decide to get something I really don't need.

nvbroncrider":3n3nu9zp said:
Why did you post that? What a beautiful rifle!!! I really don't need to see those things I might decide to get something I really don't need.

Might? MIGHT? Jake, don't give in to rational thinking now! Get it! :mrgreen: Just a helpful suggestion. :grin:

Need is not in the impulsive vocabulary. Only want. I "WANT" a 9.3X62. I was looking at a really nice Whelen the other day but it does nothing for me however a 9.3X62 does. I talked to Shawn about one last year but I didn't have the cash to make it work. It needs a 24" tube and a front sight talley QD rings with a peep sight for backup. Talk about the near perfect rifle. But I think I want it on a M70SS action in a mag fill Supergrade Micky or a Win SG stock.

I put TPS low rings on my first HD5 Zeiss 3-15x42. They fit (barely) but did not have enough clearance for the factory lens covers from Zeiss, especially on the ocular end with the bolt handle of my 1949 Model 70. I changed to mediums for that reason and both custom stocked rifles have high combs so cheek weld is not an issue.

That rifle needs something sexy for that fine Optik :lol: Near Manufacturing Alpha mount :mrgreen:

Expensive but worth the price!

Back