Barrel break in, cleaning and maintenance...Nosler rifles

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Expanding on the sticky FOTIS posted...

I've never done any type of barrel break in in my life...just cleaned the factory crud out and went to shooting....never noticed any adverse effects from that method, but considering the price of the rifle, and the experience Nosler has with rifles, barrels, bullets, etc...I'm gonna try things their way with the M48 when it gets here.

I've always used Hoppes #9 Benchrest Solvent...it works, slowly, but it does work...and CLP...

I just got back from the "fun store"...I bought what Nosler recommends on the website, I had made the decision to do this before seeing the post FOTIS made on this topic.

I bought a 20 oz. bottle of Montana Extreme Copper Killer...not cheap, but a small price to pay to do things right.

I also bought a big bottle of Butches Bore Shine...I quickly learned that this is NOT Hoppes #9, and it DOES NOT have a pleasant aroma! If you ever get curious what this stuff smells like...I encourage you to just remain curious...because taking a whiff, even a very light one, is quite an unpleasant experience! :mrgreen:

Also...I have used NOTHING except Otis cleaning kits since the mid 80's...I don't even own a complete cleaning rod (do have a couple of pieces)...I've never used brushes of any type (copper, stainless, nylon, etc.)...I have always just "soaked" my barrels clean, and that does work...but it takes time, a lot of it...I like the Otis cable method of cleaning, and I believe in it....having used it for nearly 30 years...but I also know some things have improved in 30 years (copper solvents).

I also bought a bore guide...still need a good cleaning kit with a rod...didn't like anything they had at the fun store.

A question...

When Nosler says shoot one and clean...define "clean"...is it just a patch with Bore Shine or what?

I clean it down to bare metal when seasoning a bore. There are some barrel makers who discount barrel break-in. There are others who strongly recommend the procedure. I've always erred on the side of caution, and never regretted it. It takes a bit of time, but the results have always pleased me, so I continue. Consequently, I use Butch's for customer's rifles; it is the simplest to use with a brush. I use several other solvents on my own rifles.

Curious, what is Nosler's recommended cleaning procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how long this affair with "rods" is gonna last...we're not getting along very well...I'm about to go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

And stick with the Otis cables...they've worked all these years, and I'm a lot less likely to damage a barrel using them than I am using that confounded rod.

Yep...I'm sticking with the Otis cables...

I'm pretty sure a tight patch will do just as much scrubbing as a nylon brush, truth be told...it probably does MORE scrubbing...and its MUCH easier to pull a tight patch than it is to push it.

Not knocking Nosler's/Western Powders recommended cleaning procedure...I'm sure it works for those accustomed to messing with rods....but there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I am glad I tried the Bore Shine and Copper Killer though...that stuff works, and pretty fast too.

If your wanting to get a rod, look no further than Dewey! They make an excellent rod. I use nothing but coated Dewey rods in my firearms.

I only recently, say a couple years ago tried the Otis system which I like very much. When using the copper solvents I pull a piece of string more than twice the barrel length through the barrel then tie a slip knot in the middle, attach the patch, soak it with solvent and pull it through the barrel. I let it soak for the desired time, replace the used patch and repeat the process. I will use Hoppies #9, and brake parts cleaner in addition to the copper solvent.

Back