Left Hand rifle questions

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
Looking at the Nosler site I see one can buy a RH M48 production rifle for $1875.
But to get a Left Hand rifle I'd have to buy a M48 Custom which cost $3875!
Seeing that really touched a sore spot.
When I was in the N.C. shop working for the AF, I think I could have programmed a LH action using mirror image and Manual Data Input on our old Cinncininatti Milacron controls. Starting with your RH program that is. I did a lot of that kind of stuff as aircraft most always have a Left and Right hand part. Same thing goes for a synthetic stock. That is the beauty of modern cutting tools, it makes things easy and economical. Of course I am assuming Nosler has that type of machine tool.
So please explain why it cost $2,000. more to get a LH Nosler rifle? From reading the descriptions I couldn't see that much difference.

I would seriously look at getting a LH Patriot for the same price as the RH version but will never buy a gun for $4000+ by the time shipping and taxes are factored in. I hope it is feasible for them to make the LH Patriot.

It ticks me off when I have to pay an exorbitant sum of money to purchase something left handed. A few shekels more is alright but a mortgage payment and a car payment more? That's just plain ridiculous. No thank you. I'll keep my shekels.

Yes, I have often asked myself that question :( at one time it was more for a left handed version from every manufacturer. Some still do not make many for the lefty :twisted:!

Blessings,
Dan

Winchester makes nothing for the left handed rifleman. If they ever do I'll probably max out a credit card or three. :)

I started out with a RH when I got into bolt guns, as a result I can work a RH bolt pretty fast. But when I got the funds I only bought LH from there on out. Just makes more sense.
Today I have 3 LH rifles and would buy from any of those companys again, if for nothing else then just to support those who produce LH rifles at reasonable prices.
Rem. M700 7mag. (Oldest and favorite)
Browning A Bolt II .300 Win.
Tikka T3 stainless lite .308 Win.

With those 3 I really don't need another rifle but sometimes I just get that itch that needs scratching, so I'm doing a lot of looking and thinking about the custom or semi custom route. But it won't be a $4000. gun. That's for sure.

With a Remington 700 action you could easily but together a custom rifle for $1500.00 to $2000.00 :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

I bought a Savage 6.5x284, left hand action, for approximately $300 more than the right handed version. Given the cost of the right handed model I didn't consider that unreasonable.

Gotta love those left handed rifles.

Here's that Savage I was talking about.

Attachments

• 20140817_193124.jpg
    20140817_193124.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,378
I was wondering how much extra Savage wanted to build one a little different. Nice rifle and a Savage is worth considering.
Also this; Shilen barreled action $1500., Bottom metal components $205., Trigger, let's say Timney $130., Boyds LW thumbhole cut to my length with the action fully glass bedded (me doing the bedding) + extras $205.
The action comes with the Savage type barrel nut so barrels can be changed out just like the Savage. in .270WSM or 260 of some sort.

Tikka T3 stainless in .270WSM, Jard Trigger, Boyd stock. For a few hundred more a McMillan stock.

I don't want to change the old M700 except maybe to add a better trigger and some kind of Cerakoting or Duracoating.

I'm in to this for less than $1500. 00.
The only work done has been cosmetic, outside of mounting the scope, and free floating the barrel to my satisfaction. It shoots about 1/2 MOA with the load I've worked up. If I was inclined to get a left handed rifle, and I am and Winchester ain't making any left handed actions, I'd give Savage a hard look. I've been pleased with mine.

Vince there is no doubt that Savage puts together a very accurate rifle & with a few modifications it can become a great longrange rig :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Not to detail this thread but I've always considered Savage to be on the cheap side.
Cheap or not, from what I've seen, they tend to shoot well and that's what matters most.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Every Ruger Number One is equally useful to right handed, or left handed shooters. Plus they're classy, accurate, and very nice handling since they tend to be several inches shorter than repeating rifles of any type. Just something to consider... Love hunting with my Number One!

Regards, Guy

I always liked the Ruger No.1 but always went the repeater route. Didn't want to limit myself to just one shot. Boy Howdy! what a crock! A number 1 would be a lot faster to reload than a flintlock and I used to hunt with the flinters just as much as a centerfire.
Haven't really thought about the No. 1 in a long time. Maybe I need to start.
BTW what kind of 100 yd grouping are they capable of?

Anywhere from real good to not-so-hot.

I've had four. The heavy-barrel .25-06 "Varmint" version shot honest .3" groups with 100 gr Sierras.

My current .375 H&H shoots amazingly well for such a powerful cartridge, usually under or right at an inch at 100 yards. I've made a couple of great hits on bears out at 300+ yards with it since I was so confident in the accuracy.

The 7mm mag 1B was about a 1.5 MOA rifle for me.

The .300 Win mag 1S loved 180 gr bullets (any I tired) at about 3,000 fps. It would shoot that combo into about 3/4" groups, but only that combo. Old rifle. Cranky.

I had the same thought about the repeater thing & reloading... The Number One is a LOT faster to reload than the traditional percussion muzzle loader I hunted with so much in the 1990's.

Guy

First of all you'll need to look at the differences in the finished product between the production rifle and the Custom model. The extras that they put into the Custom Model can add up quickly when you factor in the labour and quality components and quality control that goes into a Custom model. Ask your local gunsmith to slap a project together quickly and then ask him to make that project something special with higher end components and fit and finish and you'll quickly see the price escalate.

Yes us lefties have it rough from some of the manufacturers. If they offered left handed models, they usually cost a minimum of $100 more than the same version in a right handed version. Most only offered their left handed models in the very basic models, in the most common action lengths. Made sense from a business point of view. Only 10% of the population is left handed, and only 10% of the population are rifle shooters. That means only 1% of all people would probably want a left handed rifle. Small market. So make a certain number of left handed actions at time, and limit the number of variations, so that they don't get stuck with an inventory they may not sell. And some companies don't make their own actions, but had them built for them by other manufacturers, so why go to the trouble and expense of paying the extra expense for retooling?

Some of the manufacturers have quit making left handed rifles. Sako did. So has Weatherby. Remington has severely limited their number of left handed offerings.

I am glad to see that Sako has brought back the left handed rifle...even if it is only in two variations so far. Hopefully we'll see a left handed short action from them again! Weatherby still has not built anymore left handed actions...you can only get the Accumark in limited action lengths because they still had some left handed actions and stocks still in the warehouse.

As a lefty, I learned to love the leverguns early on. And as I was able to afford better rifles or custom rifles, I began to get exactly what I wanted built by the local gunsmith. An affinity for not-so common cartridges has also made it necessary to go the custom route. Single shots are great or those of us in our "right minds"! But like many others, I too prefer the repeaters.

But where else can a guy get a left handed, Mannlicher stocked rifle in 376 Steyr or a left handed 416 Taylor? Or a left handed 338-06? 250 Ackley Improved?

As much as I like the CZ FS in 6.5 x55, it just isn't left handed. I will get the Sako Bavarian in 9.3 x 62 and be quite happy with its factory stock, but will probably get a custom full length stock for the same rifle in 6.5 x 55. Why? Because it is what I want...and who else will have one? Having a one-of-a-kind rifle has its appeal!

Blkram":13fralju said:
First of all you'll need to look at the differences in the finished product between the production rifle and the Custom model. The extras that they put into the Custom Model can add up quickly when you factor in the labour and quality components and quality control that goes into a Custom model. Ask your local gunsmith to slap a project together quickly and then ask him to make that project something special with higher end components and fit and finish and you'll quickly see the price escalate.

Yes us lefties have it rough from some of the manufacturers. If they offered left handed models, they usually cost a minimum of $100 more than the same version in a right handed version. Most only offered their left handed models in the very basic models, in the most common action lengths. Made sense from a business point of view. Only 10% of the population is left handed, and only 10% of the population are rifle shooters. That means only 1% of all people would probably want a left handed rifle. Small market. So make a certain number of left handed actions at time, and limit the number of variations, so that they don't get stuck with an inventory they may not sell. And some companies don't make their own actions, but had them built for them by other manufacturers, so why go to the trouble and expense of paying the extra expense for retooling?

Some of the manufacturers have quit making left handed rifles. Sako did. So has Weatherby. Remington has severely limited their number of left handed offerings.

I am glad to see that Sako has brought back the left handed rifle...even if it is only in two variations so far. Hopefully we'll see a left handed short action from them again! Weatherby still has not built anymore left handed actions...you can only get the Accumark in limited action lengths because they still had some left handed actions and stocks still in the warehouse.

As a lefty, I learned to love the leverguns early on. And as I was able to afford better rifles or custom rifles, I began to get exactly what I wanted built by the local gunsmith. An affinity for not-so common cartridges has also made it necessary to go the custom route. Single shots are great or those of us in our "right minds"! But like many others, I too prefer the repeaters.

But where else can a guy get a left handed, Mannlicher stocked rifle in 376 Steyr or a left handed 416 Taylor? Or a left handed 338-06? 250 Ackley Improved?

As much as I like the CZ FS in 6.5 x55, it just isn't left handed. I will get the Sako Bavarian in 9.3 x 62 and be quite happy with its factory stock, but will probably get a custom full length stock for the same rifle in 6.5 x 55. Why? Because it is what I want...and who else will have one? Having a one-of-a-kind rifle has its appeal!
Not disputing what you say sir.
It's just that sometimes we want the features in a production rifle, be it cost or because we want to customize it ourselves, and don't see or want all the bells and whistles of a custom.

Vince

Vince, you must be reading my mind. Yeah I would like just the basic production rifle both due to cost and the fact that I'd like to finish it the way I want. Bedding, trigger, etc.

Most of my career I was in some form of Production so I can see some of the problems LH's face. For one thing; I am the type that purchases the rifle that best suits me, then wears it out over the years. So, I don't buy too many new LH rifles now that I've got my battery purchased.
Remington makes a lot of rifles I'd really like to have. They just don't offer them in LH. But I could probably work with an SP, lots of room there for home improvement.
Got a Tikka.
Got a couple of Brownings. I would like to have a X mark though.
Might even sell the Tikka and buy the X mark in .308.
As I get older I like more and more a wood stocked rifle. Just don't like the warp factor.
I could take that new X mark and my old 700 and get them duracoated or some kind of coated, then I wouldn't need a stainless rifle.
Still, I'd like a custom sometime.

I've got three left handed rifles that meet my needs.
That's not to say I wouldn't want a fourth one of it came along. One of these days I'll likely find a left hand small game rifle. For now I'll stick with what I have. One was a special order from Savage and the other two were lucky finds. I cherish my left handed CRF model 70 in .338 Win Mag.

Vince

Back