Question about the C2 stock finish...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Things like strong copper solvents...Montana Extreme 50 BMG Copper Killer or Butches Bore Shine, for example...will those solvents damage the stock?

I know Gunzilla's cooper cleaner is suppose to be safe for the finish since it's all natural with no petroleum distillates. I really like Gunzilla products since I started using them. I have Butches Bore shine also that I mixed 50-50 with Kroil for extra cleaning and penetration with no problems but can't comment on Montana Extreme products.

The REALLY nasty solvents can damage the paint if left on for an extended period of time, but a few stray drops wiped up quickly won't hurt anything.

Hope that helps!

SF

Nosler4":277pl7en said:
The REALLY nasty solvents can damage the paint if left on for an extended period of time, but a few stray drops wiped up quickly won't hurt anything.

Hope that helps!

SF

Yep...thats what I wanted to know...Thank You Shawn!

I use quite a bit of Butch's Boreshine and I have not had any trouble with the finishes on my CDLs.
I also use wipe-out with no problem either.

Blessings,
Dan

Good to know...I've never used harsh solvents, ever...I've always used Hoppes Benchrest Solvent, it works, but slowly...that Montana Extreme 50 BMG Copper Killer will melt copper from 15 feet away though...its mean stuff! The fumes are...heck, I don't know how to describe it...but compared to Montana Exrtreme, Butches Bore Shine smells like a rose garden.

But it works FAST...what once took days with Hoppes can be done in 10-15 minutes...with a respirator.

The folks that make it say its safe and won't damage the steel, even if left in the barrel for 24 hours...but I'm not gonna leave it in there that long, ever...15 minutes tops, and I only deep clean once per year anyway.

I'll make me a cover to go on the stock when I'm cleaning the rifle...and quickly wipe up any spills.

Back