Used pricing on a M48

A

Anonymous

OK folks.... toying around with the unthinkable.

My much loved M48 has been around the block a couple of times and a good friend is egging me on to build a full custom...that of course takes plenty of moolah but other than that, I only have room in life to use so many rifles. I've got a few between the 7-08 and .300WSM- so I'm thinking I'll step up in bore size to the .338-06 or perhaps another .375. In truth- the 7-08, .308, .270 and the .300WSM are all so similar I can't see replicating that capability again.

My rifle is in decent shape- some honest hunting wear and far from used up. Aside from wanderlust and boredom I could use this one with perfect satisfaction for the rest of my days.

So I'm thinking of putting this one on the market...but how much? I've seen used ones on GB that are in better shape and new ones cost substantially more than I paid for it 8 years ago. Looking to make somebody a fair deal and I don't even know where to start.

I was thinking $2k for the bare rifle and $2300 with the Zeiss Conquest...

too high? too low? Have I lost rational thought?

Having traded off a perfectly good gun for one that I thought was better and having the second one be a problem child I would be wary of doing it. If you want a custom you might want to consider selling one of your other guns to fund it. A nice lightweight 338-06 or something a bit bigger would be a nice addition to your line up however.......

gerry":2renu6d1 said:
Having traded off a perfectly good gun for one that I thought was better and having the second one be a problem child I would be wary of doing it........

Yeah...I might get cold feet on this whole deal. I've never had a rifle quite this nice that I liked this much. If I changed my mind I couldn't replace mine for twice what I've got in it.

gerry":371pm8rg said:
Having traded off a perfectly good gun for one that I thought was better and having the second one be a problem child I would be wary of doing it. If you want a custom you might want to consider selling one of your other guns to fund it. A nice lightweight 338-06 or something a bit bigger would be a nice addition to your line up however.......

Solid advice, that. Whilst I agree that adding a medium bore to your lineup would be a sound move, it is surely difficult to surrender something that is working.

If it is a long action, why not rebarrel your rifle to 35 or 375 Whelen? Pac Nor will do it for a lot less than a custom rifle and that is what Nosler uses in the original rifle. Refinish it and your have a customized M48 that will probably shoot as well as the original.

If a short action, 338 Federal or 358 Win. Maybe make it a switch barrel rifle?

Just a thought,
Bruce

If you're thinking of the 338-06 why not just go with a Win Mag?

I just ordered a Model 48 this morning in .338 Win Mag. I'm a fan of the caliber. It handles anything out to as far as I care to shoot from Wyoming antelope to Canadian moose.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":19rk7m8y said:
If you're thinking of the 338-06 why not just go with a Win Mag?

I just ordered a Model 48 this morning in .338 Win Mag.

I've always wanted a 338-06...like a Whelen, only cooler (...relax fellas :grin: ).

But- the more I look into it, I might just order a .338WM in a M48 Outfitter and be done with it. It has most of the stuff I want and is a good deal less expensive than putting one together myself.

I'm a fan of the .338 Win Mag.
In shooting it, carrying it, and researching it I think it offers more than most calibers and is very versatile.
I think you will be happily suprised if you go the Win Mag route. I was.

For Alaska...I think the 338 WM is an excellent idea...it could be loaded to 338-06 levels to reduce recoil, and/or loaded to full power for those times when you might need it to keep from becoming dinner.

Sounds like a plan to me... (y)

Are you still selling the custom, or keeping it and buying the Outfitter?

Ridgerunner665":19xipant said:
For Alaska...I think the 338 WM is an excellent idea...it could be loaded to 338-06 levels to reduce recoil, and/or loaded to full power for those times when you might need it to keep from becoming dinner.

I'd keep the custom in that case... An Outfitter is about half what a build would run me.

hodgeman":1cocqqfg said:
Ridgerunner665":1cocqqfg said:

I'd keep the custom in that case... An Outfitter is about half what a build would run me.
Always wise to keep what one has that is proven.
I'm selling some rifles that either don't meet my accuracy demands or a niche item in an endeavor I don't partake anymore.

I checked with Shawn.... decisions, decisions. Patriot now or Outfitter next fall.

I did think about the 9.3x62 but I gotta admit the relative scarcity of 9.3 in my area kind of scares me off a little.

.338WM practically grows on trees here by comparison.

So what did you decide?
While it's bullet placement, coupled with tissue destruction, that kills things dead I also like the energy the .338 Win Mag generates out there in the intermediate ranges.

Vince

I think the 338-06 is really cool too and is a good cartridge. If it were me and she isn't, I would go with the 338-06.

Back