Nosler with threaded barrel

ccoker

Beginner
Oct 29, 2007
With the increased use of suppressors for hunting I would REALLY like to see Nosler come out with a Patriot in 7mm08 with a 16-18" barrel.

What do you guys think?

Interesting idea but would it be economically feasible?
How many hunters hunt with a noise suppressor? I only know one person that has one and it's on a 22 rifle. I personally have avoided going through the hassle of getting one, not because I wouldn't be able to qualify for one, because I think the need is there nor am I willing to open up that much of my life to federal agents.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I just don't see the point unless you're using sub-sonic ammo...I have a couple of suppressors, both on 45acp's...for me, they have no use in the hunting fields.

Fun for some I reckon...

Texas legalized hunting game animals like deer with suppressors last year.
Now most guys I know are running cans and won't buy rifles that aren't threaded..

It's growing tremendously accross the US..
I am good friends with the SilencerShop guys, they are selling 2500 cans a month all accross the US

Once you start running suppressed it makes it hard to shoot without one.
Kind of like a "why would you?"

It is not hollywood quiet unless you are running subs but it certainly seems to spook game less and just be more enjoyable. I think it is HUGE for kids learning to shoot, the lack or the noise, reduced recoil, greatly reduced muzzle blast, etc.. means they shoot better and are much less likely to develop a flinch. Plus, shooting at the range without having to wear hearing protection is so much more enjoyable.

I guarantee that if guns were invented today they would be required to have one..
You can't have a lawn mower without a muffler..

Ccoker,

When you can get the tax repealed on them and allow them to be sold without any paperwork I'll give one a try.
Until then I'll make noise. [emoji4]

You do bring up some valid points for consideration in their favor and I might have to revisit my position on them.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've thought about it off and on....never made the plunge. I don't really understand it's place on a hunting rifle since I'm usually trying to reduce weight and bulk anyway.

They're legal to hunt game in AK with, but I don't know anyone who does.

Yeah, the $200 tax stamp is stupid..

As for weight and bulk, that's the interest in a shorter barrel with as light of a profile as you can get away with. For weight, a good titanium can works best, I run Templar Tactical cans which are a Ti outer tube with a machined Ti baffle core.

ccoker":1tvy6h3n said:
With the increased use of suppressors for hunting I would REALLY like to see Nosler come out with a Patriot in 7mm08 with a 16-18" barrel.

What do you guys think?

That's a good idea. I like suppressors. Though I don't own one, I do have experience with several different types. Makes shooting much, much nicer. Reduces the muzzle blast considerably as well as the recoil a bit.

I understand that in some European nations, use of a suppressor is mandatory. Don't know that for sure.

I'd put one on my .308 in a heartbeat, and investigate one for my .25-06 and my 5.56 AR-15.

A suppressed .22 pistol would be GREAT for new shooters!

Regards, Guy

ccoker":211onwcp said:
Yeah, the $200 tax stamp is stupid..

As for weight and bulk, that's the interest in a shorter barrel with as light of a profile as you can get away with. For weight, a good titanium can works best, I run Templar Tactical cans which are a Ti outer tube with a machined Ti baffle core.
So is the 11% excise tax, the 55% death benefit tax, tax on gas..... it's all boils down to how much money can be brought in to support a system/agency, that needs funds to support another systems and on and on.........
I thought that we ended all that when we (America) left GB, isn't that what the Tea Party was all about, Taxes. Double taxation sucks, which is why Americans came to this Great country...... but money is needed to fund the various projects that pop up at every turn. Way too much government involvement and it's costing us trillions of dollars and debt we will never reduce if government doesn't stop with all the hand outs, money to fund someone else's war, so-on and so-on....... Look at China, they've saved billions by not getting involved, yet our government wants to patrol the World, just not our own borders very well. Why don't they just put electricity to that dam fence, or shoot on sight? I'd bet if we had much harsher consequences the risk would deter far more border crossings from happening? Just like incarceration, waste of tax payers money, harsher punishments would put an end to the vast majority of the crimes. Waste of taxes criminals never have to pay back, loss of life, stolen money, etc. etc. etc.

Oh boy you got me going now......

Preaching to the choir brother..

My health insurance is going up again, so that I can help pay for all the lazy bastards that don't want to work. I work two jobs, one in tech making a good living to take care of the family and the review website which takes a LOT of time to fund the hunting and shooting expenses. Leases in Texas are expensive.

I hunt with a suppressor (on the east coast) and it's a dream. I'm actually researching now (with questions into Shawn) about the possibility of threading a 300wm barrel. I'm concerned the magnum barrel counter OD is too small to support a .30 cal can i.e. Thread pattern.

Talk about bringing an old post back!

TDMVA,

Welcome to the forum.
Let us know how the can works on your 300 WM.

JD338

Well, I thought resurrections were only in the religious realm! Welcome aboard TDMVA. I sure wish I could use a suppressor here in Canada. I do envy those permitted to do so.

I'm praying that Shawn answers that he can get more than a 1/2 thread on the 300wm Nosler barrel. it's reported as Pac Nor magnum contour. question is what exactly is that contour? the pac nor site only shows a sporter barrel with measurements. Here's the chart I'm reviewing and hoping it's more than .662 but I doubt it.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/tech/thread-specifications

thanks for the welcome.

To the OP's question, even if Nosler won't offer a threaded, shorter- barrel rifle, any rifled barrel can be shortened, crowned, and threaded after the fact.

TDMVA,
file.php

The Pac-Nor barrel contour chart above shows overall barrel length (G) at 28" (contours 2 through 6), but the barrel OD at "F", which is 26".

If the rifle you want has a 24" barrel, the barrel OD at the muzzle will be greater than the barrel OD at "C". That may be enough for the 5/8-24 thread typically used for .30 caliber muzzles.

Start a new thread asking owners of the off-the-shelf .300WM rifle you are looking at and ask them to measure the muzzle.

To the naysayers, suppressors are legal in 42 states, and legal for hunting some animals in 39 of those.

I have several cans, with more on the way.

The use of a suppressor makes sense with both subsonic and supersonic ammunition.

With subsonic ammunition, you:
  • don't disturb the neighbors or game
  • get a second chance at game
  • do not damage your hearing

With supersonic ammunition, you:
  • reduce the report at the muzzle
  • change the character of the report so the game has difficulty locating its source and, possibly
  • get a second chance at game

As for the costs associated, people who will spend $1000 or more on a scope that is committed to a single rifle (and might fail), $800 or more on binoculars or spotting scope that may fall out of collimation on a rough hunt, or a laser rangefinder they end up throwing in a drawer (or selling at a loss) because it doesn't perform as advertised, can't say that the $600-$1000 for a suppressor (tax stamp included) is a "waste" or extravagant expenditure.

As for additional weight, the heavier cans weigh 32 ozs. Lose a couple of pounds of body weight to compensate.

Yes, the paperwork and wait are a PITA. Yes, I wish they weren't NFA items. However, most of the sound moderators sold over the counter in other countries are what many consider disposable designs. U.S.-made cans are built to last.

George

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5,880
George, great info and I agree with all of it. I had seen that Pac Nor diagram as well but it was somewhat of a guess.

Here is my update from today. I'll post a separate thread as an FYI to the forum regarding the topic. I learned a lot today regarding the relationship b/w threading and barrel contours. Pretty good stuff.

First, I can't say what a pleasure it has been dealing with Shawn with Nosler, the folks at Thunderbeast, and Crux. All three have been engaged, helpful, and provided an education on the subject. Great customer service.

Now, here's an interesting update after todays discusison with Crux / Nosler / and Thunderbeast

1st Step - confirm the OD of the Pac Nor Magnum Contour barrel that Nosler puts on the gun. That is confirmed by Nosler to be .65

2nd Step - see what Nosler offers for their threaded barrel option (typically for a break). That is confirmed by Nosler at 1/2x28

3rd Step - per the diagram provided in my previous post; call Thunderbeast and see if the Ultra 7 would work with a 9/16x24 thread with a .65 OD barrel.....that would mean the gun would have less shoulder than desired by Thunderbeast specs but, in my mind, the break would more than make up for it. Thunderbeast confirmed that 9/16x24 on a .65 barrel would be too small for their product (their diagram wants .662).

4th Step - see what Crux says about the same situation. They confirmed that a .65 barrel will work with their calculations regarding shoulder size. They want .002 on each end. They can in fact do a 9/16x24 threaded adapter for the .30 cal can. Specifically they recommended the ARK30 over the Saxon or Archangel for my gun setup, situation, and goals of the can. In fact, through the discussion they confirmed they have a 1/2x28 brake for a .30 cal.

So, problem solved. Ark30 it is with a 1/2x28 brake.

TDMVA, you are welcome.

For your information, TROS makes thread adapters and will make a custom combination for you if they do not stock it. This way you can use the can on barrels threaded differently.

George

I have an Ultra7 and have discussed it's installation via 9/16x24 threads with TBAC extensively. 0.650" is plenty for that. In fact, I have a barrel that is smaller than that with 5/8x24 threads. It just barely worked, but it did work. With 9/16x24, it's no problemo. I used my GAP .260 with TBAC can (the aforementioned 5/8x24 rig) on my elk last year. Well worth the weight and length. The Ultra 7 is only 9.6 ounces, btw..... I'm just about to the point where I won't shoot a firearm that's not suppressed any more. Cans just make everything so much more enjoyable.

Back