M48 in for refurb....

A

Anonymous

Well- I decided against selling off my .300WSM. and it's on its way back to Bend for a fresh coat of paint.

That said- since it's there and won't be back with any luck for a long time... are there any other things I should have them do?

The Cerakote might get a new coat too since it's worn in a few spots, I've got no idea how long the internal coating lasts. And from a practical perspective- I'm going to look into having a set of irons put on since this rifle spends a LOT of time in the AK backcountry.

Anything I'm missing?

The only thing I can think of is maybe have a new recoil pad put on as they do lose their effectiveness over time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

And that was quick...got a call from Mike S down in Bend. Rifle is done and headed back north.

Elected against sights...just more hassle than they'd be worth. Gotta hand it to the guys in Bend..they do have good CS.

That's awesome. Loyality goes a long way. I know right know if you ever buy another rifle it will be a M48.

I haven't got it back yet but It should be just fine. Last time they replaced a safety/trigger unit and it was only gone 11days from start to finish- including shipping!

That is great customer service!! I guess we should not expect anything less from Nosler they are top shelf in my books :)!
Looking forward to your report once the rifle is back in your possession.

Blessings,
Dan

I finally picked up my rifle today from the post office...

The new stock finish is hands down better and I'm glad I took the time to send it in. The original finish was a type of paint and it had a sort of slick finish with a bit of texturing from strands and layers in the paint. It wasn't exactly gloss, but it wasn't grippy either.

The C2 finish is altogether different- very grippy feeling, almost like rubber or tool dip. Completely non-slip without any gloss to it at all. It still has a multicolored and textured composition and it feels fantastic.

They also adjusted the trigger and I took the opportunity to replace the scope mounts with Talley Lightweights. I might get froggy and replace the scope as well before I re-zero the rifle. I'm looking forward to another bunch of years in the field now!

I've had three on it to date- a 4x and 6x Leupold and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x42 which is what's there now.

I like the Zeiss but prefer fixed powers for the most part. I can't think of anything I've shot where the scope wasn't set on 6x anyway!

LOL...yeah, I use 4x and 6x all the time too (mostly 6x), but I still like having the variable...3x for those rare shots where the range is measured in feet instead of yards, as in a blind...or a very good woods stalk on damp ground and the wind in my favor, lol....and the high end (15x in my case) for the more common 4-600 yard poke across the river bottom.

I've never owned a fixed power scope...most were 3-9x, a few 4-12x, a 4-16x, one 6-18x....and my current 3-15x.

Not sure about the other guys, but I suspect they too would like to see some pictures of this dressed up Nosler rifle! I'm just saying.............. (y) :shock:

Hodgeman,

As you know I have a Model 48 on order.

I selected the .338 Win Mag as my cartridge of choice and I'm wondering why, given your location, you went with the 300 WSM? I'll give you my thoughts as to why I went with the .338 and I'm in hopes you can share your reasons for your selection.

Versatility, antelope to moose and the smallest caliber I'd care to use in brown bear country when I get the opportunity to hunt in such country.

Accuracy, I shoot the 30-06 in my Ruger at 0.5" consistently. My current .338 shoots 0.7" consistently. I'm willing to give up 0.2" as I believe that is more due to the load than the shooter.

Power, as I noted before, in brown bear country I want the extra power. In elk country that power can be handy too. The 30-06 is a 250 Yard elk rifle based on the ballistics. The .338 allows me to push my shots out further in more open country. My personal limit, on game, if the conditions favor it is 600 Yards. From what I can gather that's within the capability of the .338 Win Mag. Most shots aren't that far but it's nice to have a little power in reserve just in case.

Thank you for your time and consideration sir.

Vince

Brown bears die quite readily with 30 cal pills. Definitely no fleas on the 338, it's a fine round, but a good 168-180gr bullet in a 300 mag will get the job done easily. I run a 168 Ttsx out of my 300 run for pretty much anything.

Vince":333w645r said:
Hodgeman....I selected the .338 Win Mag as my cartridge of choice and I'm wondering why, given your location, you went with the 300 WSM?

This one is easy... I bought this rifle in 2006, the year of introduction and it was only produced in the .270, .300 and .325 WSM. (The long action and standard case head came out a couple years later) Of the three, I figured the .300 stood the best chance of long term availability. I kinda came around to the WSM based on how much I liked the rifle, not the other way around. I actually almost passed on the rifle since it didn't come in anything else but I've grown to love the WSM. Had there been one in .338 or even '06 on the rack beside it- that would have come home with me instead.

At the time I had a pretty nice .375... so I had the heavy end handled and figured this one for a caribou/sheep gun. Since then, I've done enough shooting with this one that I'd happily shoot a griz or moose with it.

hodgeman":2f32ymri said:
Vince":2f32ymri said:
Hodgeman....I selected the .338 Win Mag as my cartridge of choice and I'm wondering why, given your location, you went with the 300 WSM?

This one is easy... I bought this rifle in 2006, the year of introduction and it was only produced in the .270, .300 and .325 WSM. (The long action and standard case head came out a couple years later) Of the three, I figured the .300 stood the best chance of long term availability. I kinda came around to the WSM based on how much I liked the rifle, not the other way around. I actually almost passed on the rifle since it didn't come in anything else but I've grown to love the WSM. Had there been one in .338 or even '06 on the rack beside it- that would have come home with me instead.

At the time I had a pretty nice .375... so I had the heavy end handled and figured this one for a caribou/sheep gun. Since then, I've done enough shooting with this one that I'd happily shoot a griz or moose with it.
Thank you.
As you probably know I'm a fan of the .338 Win Mag. The fact that your rifle is chambered in .300 WSM gave me pause but I'll stick with the medium bore.

Back