.280 A.I. VS 30-06

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
I don't shoot past 600 Yards on game and wanted some opinions.
Why select the .280 A.I. over the 30-06 given the distance constraint? I'm thinking brass is more readily available for the '06, factory loads too, and there's more data available for the '06 too.
What say you all?
I'm also thinking the 30-06 is more versatile but not sure about that.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The 30-06 is a fine round and tough to beat as a do all cartridge. The advantage of the 280 AI is the better selection of high BC bullets, slightly lower recoil and longer brass life. The 280AI also has a very high "Cool Factor".

JD338

My thought is two 30-06 rifles for various conditions. One with a 26 " barrel and the other a 22 " tube.

I was thinking Brown bear and pachyderms......hence the hardly EVER

Agreed as was the 6.5 MS with 160 gr RN solids. But I would not do it and I doubt any guide would let you do it.

And yes while the 30-06 can do just fine on Brown bear I would rather have a 375 or a 416

FOTIS":3bn6hlt0 said:
Agreed as was the 6.5 MS with 160 gr RN solids. But I would not do it and I doubt any guide would let you do it.

And yes while the 30-06 can do just fine on Brown bear I would rather have a 375 or a 416
Plus, it's an excellent reason to acquire another rifle

FOTIS":2haspvv5 said:
Those big brown bears would probably look like a prehistoric animal bearing down on you at 35 mph and I'm not sure anything is big enough in those few moments! You are correct, it's just such a winner that round!

I've got a .338 Win Mag for a heavy hitter. :)
Looking for something a little lighter.

The only noticeable difference will be in trajectory and wind drift.... The 280 Ackley will be a lot better in those areas, especially past 600.

The 30-06 is/was/and always will be awesome.... Without it, there would be no 280 Ackley.

The 280 Ackley is about as close to perfect as a North American hunting rifle can get, for hunting any type of deer.

Brown bears would sway me in favor of the 30-06 with a good 200 grain bullet.

6mm Remington":3bogppqn said:
FOTIS":3bogppqn said:
Those big brown bears would probably look like a prehistoric animal bearing down on you at 35 mph and I'm not sure anything is big enough in those few moments! You are correct, it's just such a winner that round!

That's what a 416 Wby loaded with 400 gr PTs is for. ;)

JD338

Vince":7h07yx2c said:
I don't shoot past 600 Yards on game and wanted some opinions.
Why select the .280 A.I. over the 30-06 given the distance constraint? I'm thinking brass is more readily available for the '06, factory loads too, and there's more data available for the '06 too.
What say you all?
I'm also thinking the 30-06 is more versatile but not sure about that.

Not so sure there's really much to choose from and it really boils down to personal preference.

I'd doubt there's a critter alive that could tell the difference and neither one is going to seriously outdistance the other to any remarkable degree. Neither are brown bear guns, both are just fine for moose and perfect for any deer that walks the earth. You can get 220gr in the '06 and IMHO...that's just a giant waste of time with today's good bullets.

'06 has more factory loads, but in all kindness....most of them are not as good as they could be . Besides, you didn't buy a super-gun to shoot Power Points or PRVI through it.

Both the '06 and .280AI have some really good factory ammo and you're a hand-loader, so it's a moot point at best.

Components aren't really problematic for a guy who thinks ahead. Even with the .280AI...just shoot some factory .280REM rounds and 'voila!... a perfectly fireformed .280AI case! Works just fine...even to hunt with while you fire form! Bullet selection is about equal between 7mm and .308...but again... they make Partitions, Accubonds and Trophy Bonded in both and if you've got those three...you don't really need anything else.

Of the two, I think the .280AI just has a lot of panache'...and you've already got an '06. That's be an easy decision for me to make!

Man, that's a tough one for me to call as I have neither...

I like them both for what they do and honestly they seem very similar until you start getting at the far ends of bullets weights in each caliber. With bullets like the ABLR's and other high BC bullets available for both, along with a great selection of premium sorta "tough" bullets, it would be a hard choice.

I do like the 7mm's quite alot though, but have always skipped over the 280 sized cartridges and went with the larger WSM, Rem Mag or now the Mashburn. Then on the small side I got my boy a 7x57 Mauser for his 7mm. Another great 7mm..

For us looneys, no one rifle is going to satisfy us. At least not entirely anyhow. There will always be something that seems like it just needs to be "tested"...

Why would anyone with an "06" need a 280 or 270? They all are pretty much the same , with a slightly different bullet. I believe that the two greatest "children" of the 06 are the 6.5 and 35 Whelen. They bring something different to the table. Just the ramblings of a senile old man.

I think a person should have both. I have a Ruger #1B in 30-06 that I love. It is a great rifle and a great cartridge. As you all know, I also have a brand new built 280AI that I got to replace the .280 Remington I sold a few years back. I loved the 280 and I'm sure the AI version will impress me just as much. I think it will be a fantastic cartridge for everything I'll likely ever have a chance to hunt. \

So there you have it, there is no choice between the two, you must have each! (y) Problem solved.

Well stated, David. Thoughtful analysis delivered by a true enabler. Thank you for saving the rest of us from being compelled to state the obvious. (y)

Back