Proper storage of Cerakoted firearms???

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Every firearm I've ever owned has been either blued or stainless steel...except a couple of AR15's, but those don't count for this.

My usual storage procedure has been to put them in the safe fairly well covered with CLP, Fluid Film, or other similar products...currently I have MPro 7, because thats what WalMart had when I was looking...I'm not really loyal to any particular brand of lube/protectant...any of the better known flavors will work well...and I store my rifles for the long term, as it may be months before I get them back out again. I hope that last part changes this year since I should be home more...but still, never hurts to be careful.

My question is...is the "fairly well covered" part necessary with Cerakote....I'm guessing just a coating in the bore would do the trick, right? No need to cover the whole rifle...?

I believe you are correct in that it should work just fine doing it that with with just something put into the bore. I still would wipe the external parts as well. It certainly would not hurt. Just my thoughts on it anyway. I have that new .280 AI I just had built which has the John Norrel Arms moly resin coating and I wiped it down before I put it away.

The amount of care I give my Cerakoted rifle is shocking.

Virtually none.

After the main fall hunting season, I give the barrel a good cleaning. I pull the action from the stock and make sure all the leaves and dirt are out of it. I put a little grease on the cocking cam and make sure the trigger assembly is free of goobers. I clean the scope lenses and give everything a good wipe down with a rag...if the rag has any oil on it, its purely incidental.

That's it, until next year.

I hunt about 45-65 days a year and pack the rifle around a fair bit even in the off season and don't have any corrosion or rust on it yet. That's the real beauty of Cerakote...it just doesn't need much maintenance, even in crappy conditions. In places where the coating has abraded or chipped off, there's no rust- just stainless showing through

+1 to what hodgeman said. I only worry about the bare metal parts and the inside of the bore. Everything else that is has Cerakote on it I haven't done anything with it other then dry it with a plain towel when rained on, or a damp towel to remove dirt/mud.

Back