Zeroing...Spring Ritual

A

Anonymous

Now that the weather has broken and the snow is mostly gone, I took the Nosler out to my local informal shooting range and ran a target out to the 150yd mark.

Shooting from a sort of jackass prone from the truck bed over a balled up sleeping bag...I managed to zero the rifle in 6 shots and confirmed it with a third 3 shot group. Group size was a bit generous at 2"...but that's the way I shoot in the field, improvised rest over packs or bags or the odd rock with a jacket rolled up under it. I can get much smaller groups from a bench with a rest or a bunch of sandbags but that doesn't really tell me what I can do in the field.

I then turned my attention to a 6" rock way out on the riverbed... 236yds by the range finder....sitting position with a taut sling and...ZAP!...one broken rock.

Nice to see that every shot would have been a very dead caribou or moose even after a stock refinish and a new set of rings...nice when stuff works like it should.

My rifles seem to stay where I have sighted them year after year. I check all of them in the spring but they don't ever change much?

Oldtrader3":btxte1ay said:
My rifles seem to stay where I have sighted them year after year. I check all of them in the spring but they don't ever change much?

Yeah- mine don't really move but this one got a new set of rings so I had to re-zero.

Nice to confirm they're still shooting straight though.

That's great the rifle is back up and ready to hunt. I know it feels good when "old faithful" puts rounds where you want them on command.

Back