Nosler M48 Custom gets bloodied...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008

First time this rifle has been hunetd (y)

315 yards, quartering away...

I dialed up 1.5 MOA and sent a 160 grain AccuBond his way, the bullet hit him just behind the ribcage and you can see the exit in the picture above...he gave a big mule kick when he got hit, turned and ran about 6 steps then stopped, just standing there with his head hung low...he wasn't feeling well but he was still standing....I waited about 5 seconds to see if he was gonna go down then sent him another 160 AccuBond...this one hitting about 2 inches in front of and above the exit from the first one, it flattened him and exited the other side not far from where the first bullet entered.

He was dead from the first shot, he just didn't know it yet...it obliterated his liver and just missed the heart on exit...the 2nd shot was a direct hit on the heart.

Decent sized deer, short on horns but good on meat!

Edited to add: 280 Ackley Improved, for those that don't know... :lol:

Nice! Good shooting! Glad to see that Nosler is starting to earn its keep, your other rifles are about to get very,very lonely.

I'm impatient to see stuff drop and not reluctant to shoot one twice too!

Congrats RR nice Buck and great eating. Around here if your not on private land someone else would have shot it for you and claimed it before you got the second shot off. Around here you don't wait just go ahead and shoot it till it drops.
Thanks for sharing.

Great story and congrats! The 160 AB is a great Bullet. I have no qualms about it on elk... It works.

Congrats on the M48's first kill!

Congratulations on some fine shooting and a nice butterball buck.
Ya just gotta love the 280AI.

JD338

An unfortunate coyote has been claimed as victim number 2....280 yard shot, one round and down.... He was chasing a doe, she won't be bothered by him anymore... Nor will I.

Pics when I head out....

Ridgerunner665":1lsyfmo5 said:
An unfortunate coyote has been claimed as victim number 2....280 yard shot, one round and down.... He was chasing a doe, she won't be bothered by him anymore... Nor will I.

Pics when I head out....

Excellent! Don't particularly hate coyotes (they have to live, as well). However, they need to be held in check. It is the reason we are given responsibility to manage wildlife, to keep species in balance. Good job.

DrMike":soz5i657 said:
Ridgerunner665":soz5i657 said:

Pics when I head out....

Excellent! Don't particularly hate coyotes (they have to live, as well). However, they need to be held in check. It is the reason we are given responsibility to manage wildlife, to keep species in balance. Good job.

I don't hate them... There's just too many of them and nobody much around here hunting them.

They killed 6 calves last year... To say the landowner requires them to be shot on sight is an understatement.

He's my uncle... and I'm quite certain he'd pull my hunting privileges if he knew I let one walk.... That is our arrangement.... I repair/maintain fences and kill coyotes in return for exclusive hunting privileges.

Ridgerunner665 said:
I repair/maintain fences and kill coyotes in return for exclusive hunting privileges.

I'd say that's a good trade. On my recent, brief visit to TN I saw one in a field behind my mother's house. First one I've ever seen there in 30 years. They're getting thicker down there for sure.

This rifle is a death ray.... If I can see it, I can kill it.

Money well spent!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner665":x8nj1pp0 said:
This rifle is a death ray.... If I can see it, I can kill it.

Money well spent!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Very nice- nothing like shooting quality!

Back