Nosler Rifle Questions - Stock and Safety

walkinhorseman

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
The current models on the Nosler Rifle line are the Heritage, Patriot and Outfitter. Previously there was the Trophy Grade. How does the Trophy Grade compare to the current models?
I am seriously considering a 35 Whelen. I just killed a buck with my 338 Federal and 185 TSX’s, which was an epiphany for me. I’ll post that story under “Hunting”. I am really conflicted about the choices. I like the Outfitter except for blind magazine well. My preference is a hinged floorplate. The Patriot would be interesting if the stock color was the same as the Outfitter and the barrel was 22”.
Who is the manufacturer of the Nosler synthetic stocks? One aspect of a stock that I am fussy about is the grip radius and contour. I had a Cooper Excaliber which I believe are Bell & Carlson stocks. I really don’t care for their grip contour, nor do I care for the Cooper rotary safety. The Excaliber stock was not comfortable in my hand. I recently had a Heritage in 26 Nosler in my hands and found it reasonably comfortable. However, the store did not have any synthetic stocked Nosler rifles in inventory to try.
Two other features about the Nosler Rifle that I don’t care for are the cast bolt handle and non-locking safety. I can deal with two position safeties but I want the bolt locked closed when the safety is “ON”. The bolt handle casting on the Nosler rifle is just an annoying cosmetic QA problem. Those design characteristics are not present in the Montana Rifle V2 or X2. The Montana Rifle offerings in 35 Whelen have 24” barrels. They also have a heavier barrel contour, as in #5, which is heavier than I think it needs to be. I am presently leaning more to the Montana rifle and cutting 2” off of their barrel.
The other option is finding a Sako A-Series ’06 and rebarreling it. That would add integral mount dovetails, which is a very desirable design feature that neither the Nosler or Montana have.
I realize that I could have a Nosler Custom Rifle built to spec but that is $4025 to get a bolt lock safety. At that price point, I would have to think about ordering an H-S Precision that comes with an accuracy CofC.
The first question that I need answered is the grip pattern on the synthetic stocks. I’m going to keep looking around for one on the shelf to handle. Since the 3-position safety is an option under the Custom menu, could the standard models be retrofitted via simple trigger change out? And yes, I am conflicted and fussy.

I have the Custom and the stock is (what I believe) an MPI- very trim through the wrist and grip. The Patriot (again, I believe) is a Bell and Carson and feels slightly thicker to me.

Mine has had two triggers, a 3 position locking Timney and a 2 position Rifle Basix. I'd think you could simply switch out the trigger to any of the commonly offered products by either company.

FWIW, I liked the 3 position but the 2 position is a better feeling trigger.

Back