33 Nosler...soon to report

A

Anonymous

Well, he did it.

My most frequent hunting partner ordered a Nosler 48 in 33 Nosler this morning along with a VX-6 2-12x scope. A set of Warne Maximas rounded out the purchase.

Looks like I'll get to give this one a try and see what it'll do.

Been eying that round myself. It should be a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations to your friend. The 33 Nosler looks to be a hammer.
What bullet(s) are you going to be running? The 250 gr AB or the new 265 gr ABLR
should really shine.

JD338

JD338":2ves54v5 said:
What bullet(s) are you going to be running? The 250 gr AB or the new 265 gr ABLR
should really shine.

JD338

He's starting with factory 225gr AB ammunition. A 225 at 3000fps+ should be deadly on moose and griz.

hodgeman":3d62bdgf said:
JD338":3d62bdgf said:
should really shine.

JD338

He's starting with factory 225gr AB ammunition. A 225 at 3000fps+ should be deadly on moose and griz.

Ya' think? Oh, yeah, a 225 grain AB started at 3k fps will put a hurt on about anything you will hunt. Should be a great load.

Looking forward to seeing how it works for you guys, for some reason the 33 Nosler interests me the most out of the Nosler rounds. I'm not even a 338 calibre guy either.

gerry":3ihtn2gk said:
Looking forward to seeing how it works for you guys, for some reason the 33 Nosler interests me the most out of the Nosler rounds. I'm not even a 338 calibre guy either.

Traitor to the 35's.... with a 35 caliber barrel you probably need the 35 Nosler! :twisted:

Finally put all the components together...

No factory ammo yet...

So we got cases, primers, a pound of 4831SC and two boxes of 250gr Accubonds.

Couldn't find 225s anywhere but a couple boxes of 250s were hanging out on the shelf. A 250 at 2800ish should do the trick. Putting them together and getting them on paper is the weekend project.

Got it together...

Loaded 3 loads for a starting ladder- 74.5gr, 76.5gr and 78.5gr or H4831SC for a min, mid, and max. load using Nosler data at 3.34" OAL.

The mid load worked best. For reference, the red dot is 0.5"

Rounds #4, 5, and 6 from the rifle. I'd say that'll do.

Attachments

• 33 Nosler.jpg
    33 Nosler.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4,761
My buddy was thrilled. First excursion with the new rifle and his first attempt at hand loading.

More than a little gratifying for him to see that group.

SJB358":2b1bb0dy said:
Dang! That'll do!

Any idea on the speed?

Going by just data- 2750ish.

Felt recoil matched that too but we'll likely chronograph some once a friend lets us use his magneto speed.

That's pretty danged good for the first set of loads. That 250 AB seems to be really accurate in most 338's.

Update...

Back from a week of hunting and my partner shot a nice bull at 250yds... center punched him with a hand loaded 250gr AB.... one and done. 33 Nosler is a killer.

Pretty gratifying to see a guy I taught how to shoot, hunt and handload over the last few years take a nice critter with a round he loaded!

Back