30-06 TGR

444Matt

Beginner
May 31, 2017
Hey guys, I recognize a few names from other forums on the net. I recently picked up a TGR in the good old 30-06. I just mounted a Meopta 3.5-10 on it using Talley Lightweights hoping to get it to the range very soon. All up it should be right at 8lbs which isn't too bad for a '06 I hope to shoot heavies from. Any tips tricks or items to beware of on the Trophy Grade Rifles I'd love to hear them.

Matt

Congratulations, Matt; and welcome aboard. You've certainly secured a quality setup for hunting. There are no flies on the 30-06, to be sure. I can't imagine that there are any particular tips or tricks to increase your satisfaction with that setup. I really like Meopta scopes. Is this your first Meopta?

Ived owned two of their fixed 6x scopes before getting this one. I think they are really hard to beat for the money.

I've now setup 3 Nosler 48s...

They were all completely straightforward and simple to get shooting very well. No real tricks or gyrations required. In fact, the 33NOS we just did was hunting ready in just two 3-shot groups.

Matt that sounds like a really nice rifle you picked up in a classic cartridge that truly does it all. I use 165 gr. Partitions or Accubonds in my 30-06 for everything from coyotes, antelope, deer, black bear, and elk. It seems to be a good weight.

I think H4350 or IMR4350S are great powders. My load that shot equally as well in two different 30-06 rifles is as follows.
Winchester brass - Federal 210 Match primer - 57.4 grs of IMR4350.

There are some newer really good powders out there that I'm sure would work just as well, especially with the heavier bullets, but those two are hard to be even with the heavies. 180 and 200 gr. bullets in the 30-06 would make it a real hammer! Maybe Guy will chime in here as he just worked up a load with 200 gr. Partitions for his 30-06 and took a beautiful grizzly bear with it!

Yes I saw pictures from his hunt GREAT grizz. I've known Guy via the internet for a few years now, love getting to see his part of our country. I've been a big fan of the 30-06 for a while having great results using 165gr Seirra Game Kings. Getting started reloading is something I've been trying to do for some time now and hopefully I'll make it happen this summer.

Thanks for the welcome Guy, I'll be posting a lot of questions here im sure once I get to cranking out ammo. I sold two of my 30-06s to buy this Nosler it has a lot of the custom features I was after. So far the stock is the only thing I'm not in love with, a little thick in the forearm and grip for me.... Taking it to the range in a week or so summer sure is busy with young kids out of school.

Congrats on the rifle Matt. Sounds like you got a great rifle.

Haven't heard of many complain about the Nosler's as far as accuracy. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Also another fan of Meopta optics. Very happy with mine.

Welcome to the forum.
The 30-06 will do everything you want it to with proper bullet placement and is a great old cartridge.
There should be a warning message for newbies here and that is ----- Beware of the Enablers :shock: :roll: :lol:
Some one will try to get you to convert that 30-06 into a 35 Whelen before you really get your feet wet here and they like to spend your money for you too. :grin:

Thanks Truck Driver, unfortunately after a trip to the range I made the hard decision that this rifle just doesn't fit me well enough to hang on to it. It is now listed for sale with or without scope in the classifieds section here (and elsewhere).

Its a darn nice rig and accurate but just not right for me.

Back