Nosler Western rifle

TDMVA

Beginner
Apr 18, 2016
Ive been trouble shooting something with my 300 win mag with the folks at nosler. In doing so and shooting the breeze about other calibers I’m feeling the need for a 280 ackley improved. On paper it’s an ideal round for Virginia game and out west. May make my 308’s and nosler 300wm obsolete. Doubt it though.

Only reservation is I don’t reload. Ammo is stocked at the local gun shop for @ $65 or so.

Any reason not to get a 280ai

Undoubtedly a fine round. Won't do anything that a lot of other rounds will do; but, when has that ever stopped any of us from picking up what we wanted? It will undoubtedly serve you well both in VA and out west. There isn't much in NA that you can't take with that cartridge. I don't own one, but I do own two .280 Rems. I've taken moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and black bear with that cartridge; and it handled each of them with aplomb. Buy it and post a picture so the rest of us can dream.

The 280AI is a terrific round that has excellent speed, power and accuracy. It nipps the heels of the 7mm Rem Mag with less powder and recoil. I've been shooting a 280AI for several years now and my gf is now shooting a Nosler M48 280AI. She shot a double this summer hunting crop damage deer, 2 shots, 2 WT does DRT 300 yards away.
Consider getting into reloading. For the price of 5 boxes of factory ammunition, you could be reloading. Your friends here at noslerreloading.com will help you along the way. I have plenty of load data to share as well.
You will love the 280AI.

JD338

I’ll be the other side of the coin, If you don’t handload and you like to shoot a 270 Win is pretty danged easy to feed and ballistically there isn’t much one does the other doesn’t.

It’s a neat cartridge for sure, I’d yiu handload but it would be tough for me to pay 65.00 a box. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Let me ask this as a follow up.

is it worth the extra $ for the western vs. the standard liberty model? the barrel fluting and stock shave some weight and it has a break threaded on it. I don't know if this round requires (not that any really do) a break though....wouldn't think so.

I did add a break to my 300win mag liberty and that makes it easy to shoot.

I owned a 280 Remington and now have a custom .280 AI I had built. I really like both of them as they are fantastic rounds. The 280 AI like Mike said is real close to the 7mm Mag. I'd have another 280 AI in a heartbeat.

Back