48 Nolser long range rifle

alhamilton

Beginner
Sep 12, 2017
the catalog shows a fluted barrel and the description calls for a fluted barrel. My rifle came without the flutes. The description says it comes with a Shilen match grade but they do not make a fluted barrel. ( actually they say fluting voids any warranty). Either way the catalog is misleading.

If you just got it, and are not satisfied, I'd send it back for a full refund.

Guy

alhamilton":2zhtclq0 said:
the catalog shows a fluted barrel and the description calls for a fluted barrel. My rifle came without the flutes. The description says it comes with a Shilen match grade but they do not make a fluted barrel. ( actually they say fluting voids any warranty). Either way the catalog is misleading.

This is one reason I'm not keen on buying a rifle without being able to check it out in person. Then I have a pretty doggone good idea what I'm getting.

Too often the catalog guys and the guys actually making the rifles aren't on the same sheet of music, and I don't mean just Nosler - I've seen similar problems with other makers.

I understand your frustration. The rifle you have is probably an excellent rifle, capable of superb accuracy - but it's not what you were thinking of. Personally, I'm NOT a fan of fluted barrels, but that's what you wanted and ordered.

Honestly, I think that in your shoes, I'd be on the phone with Nosler. Tomorrow if not already.

Guy

Excellent advice, Guy. I would hope that Mr. Hamilton takes this advice. No doubt he will get satisfaction if he communicates with Nosler on the issue.

I am currently mentoring a friend who purchased a Nosler Long Range Rifle a couple months ago in 300 Win Mag. He has completed the break-in and only shot factory ammo through it. It took a few tries to find some ammo that it liked. It does meet the accuracy guarantee with Nosler Factory AccuBond 180 gr.

My friend does not reload and is on a short prep cycle for a December Elk hunt. He is interested in learning to reload. I will continue to help him with the load development process and tuning this rifle. I am looking forward to this exercise as I really do like this Nosler Rifle. If I didn't already have a 300 WM, I would be slobbering all over this one.

alhamilton":1d2w1mpg said:
Can you return a firearm?...

Anyways, avoid fluting. It only eliminates a few ounces, not worth it!. Keep it and enjoy it.

Many people think fluting helps with accuracy, cooling etc. Negative!

Solid barrel will be easier to tune and find a load for because it will flex less.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I would consider your purchase a blessing in disguise!! It may look cool, and other then shed weight is a total waste of money, and a machinist time to a perfect piece of round steel! You'll have a more accurate barrel/gun, and I won't buy a fluted gun if it was life depended on it period!

Shilen has never sold a fluted barrel, nor will they, even a few other barrel makers have long said "Don't flute our barrels"!

You have a better product, and don't take my word for it AI-Accuracy International stopped fluting all their barrels. Once they begin to heat up they'll wonder the shots further away from POA and POI vs a round barrel.

I'd say "Be Happy" you didn't get what you want! But Hey, it's your baby, if you think it looks cool and is a must have for the proper tool by all means send it back!

Back