Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wandering Central Washington
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:33 pm 

A favorite trip of mine, I spent the weekend with good friends, wandering and camping in the sagebrush covered hillsides & canyons of Central Washington, just a hop, skip and a jump from home. It's a mildly challenging 4wd route. This fall we enjoyed terrific weather! Sunny, with highs in the 60's and a fair bit of wind. Last year? Same trip, some of the same folks, and we got snow! :)

I'll post up some photos I grabbed today & yesterday, sort of explain the trip that way.

Allstown (or Alston) a semi-ghost town in wheat country:

Moses Coulee - part of the "great floods" when the ice dams broke. Now ranches, and a bizarre failed 1970's resort community...

Just up from the entrance to Slack Canyon. That's Douglas Creek running below. This country is vast. I often hunt here for mule deer & chukar, sometimes for coyote:

The fall leaves are mostly gone, the wind has stripped them away. These are in a sheltered canyon and remain. For now:

Crossing Douglas Creek on Saturday. No, that's NOT my Jeep! :) Belongs to my friend Judy. Our Jeeps are near twins. Hers is an actual Rubicon, mine is a pretend Rubicon. ;)

Judy's Rubicon climbing the rocky slope on wet tires:

JR is Judy's husband, driving his old Toyota and doing a mighty fine job of it. 325,000 miles on that thing now!

JR built last night's campfire!

My campsite:

Breakfast this morning. A three-egg omlette, with jalapeno pepper jack cheese and some overly scorched onion bits, as well as some good coffee:

Today, on the way home. I live in the valley below, where the Columbia River flows:

Great weekend, great people, pretty good weather, incredible scenery. Quite a bit of wildlife, but sightings were fleeting. I had my 30-30 Glenfield in the Jeep, and a compact 9mm Kahr on my belt. We were a pretty well-armed group. Some of the route we took out of there today was pretty danged hairy. Everyone handled the steep climbs, washouts, rocks etc just fine. :)

Guy

Last edited by Guy Miner on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Online Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Wandering Central Washington
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 pm 

That is a great photo essay, Guy. That is a pretty hot campfire, by the way. Lovely country, to be sure.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4