Back to Alaska!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Next week I'll be joining Dad and a couple of good friends for a return to Alaska. I go every couple of years, Dad and his buddies go every year to fly fish a terrific silver-salmon run. We fly out of Cordova to a remote fly-in-only lodge. It was a tent camp when we started going, but now there's a main lodge for meals and the guests all sleep in nice cabins. The fishing is phenomenal - you'd write it off as a fisherman's tale if I was to get into how many salmon we catch & release on a good day up there... We can keep four a day, which we do. I usually come home with 50 - 100 pounds of frozen, vacuum packed salmon. It tastes great even after 18 months frozen. Heck, there might be a slab or two in my freezer still, from my last trip, two years ago.

Had to spend some money getting ready this year. My old steelhead & salmon rod broke, but St. Croix offered me a chance to upgrade to their new top of the line rod for a modest cost, so I did that. Have only had that rod out a couple of times now. It casts and fishes just fine. Fast action 8wt.

Got a new Rio Versa-Tip fly line. Ouch, those have gotten expensive!

Got some new wading boots as felt soles are no longer allowed - apparently they transplant too many micro-organisms from one eco-system to another.

My family room is covered in fly-fishing paraphernalia. I don't know how it's all going to fit - but I intend to get it all in one carry-on again. Heck, it's only a week, who needs extra socks anyway?

Sharpened the hooks on my salmon flies yesterday. Tying new leaders on my fly lines today. Trying to decide if I need to take a spare reel or not. Will charge up the camera. Here's a few photos from years past:

Flies for silvers, wet & dry:
IMG_4984.jpg

"Pink Pollywog" tied with dyed deer hair - yes, they'll come up and take this thing, popped across the surface like a bass popper. Nothing like having a 10# - 15# silver take a dry fly...
IMG_5002.jpg

Dad, in his 80's, fighting a silver. We were fishing on the beach, right near the mouth of the river. The fish don't get any better!
IMG_3045.jpg

Transportation to the lodge. Used to call it "fish camp" but the lodge is too nice for that anymore:
IMG_3123.jpg

The river:
IMG_3088.jpg

A good morning's catch:
IMG_3047.jpg

Sunrise:
IMG_3004.jpg

Share nice!
IMG_3012.jpg

536b86fa.jpg

Hope to have some good stories & photos to share upon my return!

Guy

Have fun Guy. Enjoy your time with your Dad.

JD338

Have a great trip. That is a great way to spend a few days with your dad. Enjoy. And thanks for the pictures.

Wow. I think that will be a really good trip Guy.. Hope you have a great time with your Dad.

Hey Guy, I have a fly one of my guides ties for silvers. I didn't bring any down with me but when I head up in June I'll send you one. Use it latter in the day when the fish are going deeper, looking at your photos, low tide in the deeper holes.
Don

Hey, thanks!

Guys, "Salmonchaser" brought this 2012 thread back to life. I went shortly after posting the thread, and had a great trip with Dad. He's returned to Alaska since, but I haven't. Something about time and money...

Great fishing though, no doubt.

Salmonchaser - sure I'd be happy to see what you've got. Normally when I want to go "deep" there, a very relative term, because the river usually isn't very deep, I tie on a weighted Clouser. Works great for me! People don't understand the vast numbers of silver salmon that return to that little river year after year. It's phenomenal.

Guy

Back