Sharing Yellowstone in case some have not been there before.

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
First time we had been to Yellowstone in a long time. (August 2012) It's a lot of fun and sure is beautiful. Thought I would share to entice others to go who have not done so, and just to share with those who have.

Yellowstone2012002.jpg

Yellowstone2012005.jpg

Yellowstone2012018.jpg

Yellowstone2012011.jpg

Yellowstone2012012.jpg

Yellowstone2012013.jpg

Yellowstone2012014.jpg

Yellowstone2012015.jpg

Yellowstone2012023.jpg

Yellowstone2012028.jpg

Yellowstone2012035.jpg

Yellowstone2012036.jpg

Very nice, David. Thanks for sharing. I've been near and past on multiple occasions, and have yet to spend time in Yellowstone. These may be what is needed to motivate me to stop and "smell the roses," so to speak.

David,

Those are some great pictures of some beautiful country.
Thanks for sharing.

JD338

DrMike":3x11nbo0 said:
Very nice, David. Thanks for sharing. I've been near and past on multiple occasions, and have yet to spend time in Yellowstone. These may be what is needed to motivate me to stop and "smell the roses," so to speak.
Or more likely smell the sulfur Dr. Mike, like rotten eggs! Some of the pots have a wonderful :mrgreen: aroma!

Great images. I just returned myself. Took some video of Ol' Faithful just for those who have never seen her. Brought back a nice big buffalo chip for one of my hunting buddies. LOL

Thanks David, I have not been to Yellowstone since a couple of years after the fire. It always is awesome!

Have taken the family camping there several times over the years, and my wife and I first went through sometime in the early 1980's on a coast-to-coast move while I was a young Marine.

I think the campground on the Madison is my favorite, as it's within easy walking distance of good fishing. My wife though, likes to remind me that we're not in our 20's anymore, and she really appreciates a cabin instead of our tent. Odd that... I've got cots and good sleeping bags. What more does she want?

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

A lot of people seem to just zip through the surrounding areas, but there are some really nice places near Yellowstone as well.

IMG_1718-1.jpg

It was difficult for me to resist spending some time near or in Yellowstone on my way home from my Wyoming hunt this time. It's particularly nice off-season, when the crowds are gone. For anyone visiting the park, I'd strongly recommend bringing your own food, so you don't have to rely on the restaurants, with their high prices, long lines and adequate quality food.

Good topic David - Yellowstone is a pretty special place. The hunting and fishing in surrounding areas can be very good too.

Regards, Guy

Funny how wives become so focused on cabins, Guy. I've got one of those as well. Great pictures, as always. It tells me that you have worked hard to capture on film and in digital format the beauty of the world in which you walk. Thanks for adding to what is becoming a favourite thread.

Well, I do have to admit that it was very comfortable staying in the cabin while I hunted Wyoming last week... :grin: Mostly though, I still like our "big" tent as well as my little backpacking tent.

Digital cameras re-awakened my old interest in photography. I really should get a good SLR with a telephoto lens for wildlife photography...

Guy

I took my family to Yellow stone after harvest this year as well. About the second week of September. I really love it there. My daughter is still talking about the buffalos, and the elk. It really is one of my favorite places to visit. Hopefully we can head back in a few years when the kids are old enough to remember a bit more.

I went in 1980 when I was a kid and we were there for a week, then zipped through in 1991 on my way home from California where I had just purchased a car.

In 2007 we were going hunting just north of Yellowstone so on a lark I checked into the dates it was open. We were able to visit the Park then both before and after the hunt, and it officially closed for the season right after we were there. In 2009 we again hunted the same area and took a different route through the Park and had a chance to see a lot of it again. It closed during our hunt so we then only got to drive the Mammoth to Cooke City road after the hunt.

We had such a good time on those two occasions in 2007 and 09 that we went there for an official family vacation in 2010 and were there for 8 days. It was a wonderful adventure visiting many places that the "normal" tourists never see. I then stopped by again after my elk hunt this past November for a drive from Mammoth to Cooke City again, and look forward to another trip.

My next Yellowstone goal is to visit during the winter. It's on the "someday" list, though hopefully not too far away.

As others have noted, the traffic is WAY down if you go after Labor Day, especially into October. Some of the buildings and concessions do close as Fall progresses so you need to be aware of that. However, with no traffic at 6:00 am you don't have to worry about anything except the buffalo on the road. :shock:

I even went there by myself after taking the family, when I was on some hunts in Wyoming near the West Gate. Plus when I lived in Salt Lake, we used to go up every fall nearly, to see the elk migration north of Jackson. I must admit, watching hundreds of 6-8 point bulls and thousands of elk wandering around, eating alfalfa hay, was hard on my heart though.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! I've been in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness north of Yellowstone, the National Elk Refuge north of Jackson and Grand Teton NP but have yet to venture into Yellowstone.

Sure makes you appreciate what a great country we live in compared to others!

Back