Most of the Snow has gone and Lakes are clearing of ICE*

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Went to the Houlton Gun Show yesterday to see what prices were like. A guy had 3 cases of cheap .22 Ammo for sale at $65 a brick and it was all gone in 15 mins ???? [Idiots???]
A fella has a Series One Glock 9mm that was compleatly worn out and had hit everything but the daily double and obviously a retired police gun with HEAVY use he was asking $695 for and had lots of lookers????? A almost new model 19 walked thru the door and sold imediately for $550.
Lots of old, new in the box common ammo with prices in the $35-40 box asking prices????
We have lost most of our snow here now and East Grand Lake that is approx 30 miles long was frozen when we went up at 8:30 and 3/4 cleared of ice at 3:30 when we came back down by it!
So I guess its time to hang up the coyote gun and get out a flyrod!!! :(

Even in Canada, the prices at gun shows indicate a lot of optimism; and that has been the case for quite a few years! Fishing won't open on the streams for us until July, but bears are open now, Earl. Course, there is still quite a bit of snow.

$65 a brick?(500rds?)!!!! For .22 ammo right? NO STINKIN WAY am I payin that. Ever.... Any body wanna buy my Marlin .22. I'd say $800 would be fair, given the price of the ammo. :evil: Idiots. Walleye opener is in a few weeks. Gonna need a chainsaw to go fishin' Maybe "it" is freezin' over. CL

I saw a guy at that show, selling 22 Magnum ammo for $25 a box!!! Funny thing was powder was $35 a pound which is the going price before the shortages?????????? I bought 10lbs of 414 last year in August for $185 wholesale so wont need any for a while. That will last me about 5 years. :x Hopefully we will have gotten rid of HIM by then. :x
First gunshow I have been to in years, that I didnt buy something. A friend had a guy that wanted to show me some good guns, they thought I might be interested in , One was a nice LC Smith 20ga with ALOT of original case colors and uncracked wood, it was a later one, with the high rib and heavyer than the early guns, and no where near as desirable to collectors, I would have paid around $16-1700 and have resold it asking probably $2200 and listened to offers, he said he couldnt take less than $4000 for it?????????????? He also had two very nice Savage 1899s one a common EG in .300 in minty condition a 1949 gun and a 1957 R Model with rounded forearm in about 95% condition I valued them both at about $800ea so was going to offer him $1500 and see if he would stand up and salute, but when I asked him for his best price he said he would not think of selling them for less than $2500 period. I told him I would think it over.............. but not to hold them for me ! He then asked what I would pay and I knew I was going to just create an enemy by saying what I felt they were really worth so I said "I needed to do some checking first"
as I dont really need anymore enemys at this point in my life :lol:

35 Whelen":1dc7rift said:
I saw a guy at that show, selling 22 Magnum ammo for $25 a box!!! Funny thing was powder was $35 a pound which is the going price before the shortages?????????? I bought 10lbs of 414 last year in August for $185 wholesale so wont need any for a while. That will last me about 5 years. :x Hopefully we will have gotten rid of HIM by then. :x
First gunshow I have been to in years, that I didnt buy something. A friend had a guy that wanted to show me some good guns, they thought I might be interested in , One was a nice LC Smith 20ga with ALOT of original case colors and uncracked wood, it was a later one, with the high rib and heavyer than the early guns, and no where near as desirable to collectors, I would have paid around $16-1700 and have resold it asking probably $2200 and listened to offers, he said he couldnt take less than $4000 for it?????????????? He also had two very nice Savage 1899s one a common EG in .300 in minty condition a 1949 gun and a 1957 R Model with rounded forearm in about 95% condition I valued them both at about $800ea so was going to offer him $1500 and see if he would stand up and salute, but when I asked him for his best price he said he would not think of selling them for less than $2500 period. I told him I would think it over.............. but not to hold them for me ! He then asked what I would pay and I knew I was going to just create an enemy by saying what I felt they were really worth so I said "I needed to do some checking first"
as I dont really need anymore enemys at this point in my life :lol:

People become very optimistic during times of shortage, Earl. I believe you made a wise move not initiating a fight, even if through honesty.

Back