Moving to British Columbia?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
So.... what all would be involved in moving to BC? It's a couple of hours north of me and I've visited a number of times. I like what I see.

Do I have to sell off all my firearms and buy new up there?

As a resident can I hunt without a guide, even if I'm not a Canadian citizen?

Can I become a Canadian citizen and retain my U.S. citizenship?

Help me out here guys. Looking to retire from cop work in the next few years and wouldn't mind moving up to B.C., not at all.

Guy

Mike and others can fill you in on some of it but I'm sure there is a way to bring firearms across with you but unfortunately Canada has very strict laws on handguns.

As a resident you can hunt the full range of animals we have here without a guide.

You can be a Canadian citizen and still be a U.S citizen as long as your primary residence is here.

I found this about getting a B.C. hunter number.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... cation.pdf

I'm sure you would find hunting for moose, mountain goats, grizzlies, caribou, elk, 3 kinds of deer, 4 kinds of sheep, bison, wolf and black bears very hard to take :)

If you get a firearms license (known as a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License)), you can bring any or all of your firearms with you. For handguns, you will need to have a restricted license. You declare them at the border, have them certified that the serial number matches what you claim and come in. There is a six-month residency requirement for licensed hunters. After six-months as a landed immigrant, you are able to hunt as a resident. You would need to secure permission to immigrate by visiting the Canadian Consulate and securing the papers. Medical tests, finger prints, police clearance from your local police department, etc.--the usual documentation. I hold dual citizenship; my wife has never taken out Canadian citizenship. However, she is a landed immigrant with status in Canada, meaning she can move back and forth across the border freely. It is worth your while to visit this web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp.

Interesting. Thank you gentlemen.

Giving me food for thought here...

Guy

Yeah, since a guy can keep his U.S. citizenship, I sure wouldn't feel like I was abandoning my country or anything like that. Just moving somewhere new and interesting.

And not all that far from my good ol' home state, Washington.

Hey Gerry & Dr. Mike, does everyone in Canada live in igloos? :mrgreen:

Guy

Guy Miner":1td4uonf said:
Interesting. Thank you gentlemen.

Giving me food for thought here...

Guy

It took me 18 months to get an Immigrant Landing Card when I moved to Quebec (Montreal) in the mid 1950's. I was 13 years old and finally got it after spending my days at immigration for several months. Taking a job from a Canadian citizen is one big issue but if you are retired, it should be easier.

gerry":18lag17i said:
Guy Miner":18lag17i said:
Hey Gerry & Dr. Mike, does everyone in Canada live in igloos? :mrgreen:

Guy

Only the rich ones :)

Don't give away all our secrets, Gerry. Guy, come on up for a visit and see for yourself.

Since the wife don't want to move back to Australia I may have to consider Canada too when I retire.

Other than the handgun thing where they are very restricted we have a lot of good things. Like everywhere there are a bunch of wacko liberals unfortunately.........

gerry":9jsi0ly2 said:
Other than the handgun thing where they are very restricted we have a lot of good things. Like everywhere there are a bunch of wacko liberals unfortunately.........

They do pretty well gravitate to the Lower Mainland and the southern tip of Vancouver Island. We had a liberal here in Dawson Creek. He'd never admit it, but everyone knew who he was. :grin:

You may even get some slack for being a retired law officer as far as the handguns are concerned?

I'm Born & raised right here in BC for 57 years now and i Love it here ! I 've being to the Yukon and Alaska - Alberta- Sask and a lot of states too and i would not trade BC for any one of them ! Its a full meal deal here with the hunting-fishing-trapping- Scenery - we have Lakes & Rivers Mountains and Desert - we have it ALL ! etc etc :mrgreen: You Can NOT beat it ! :grin: But thats JMHO It would be good to have you as my neighbour Guy Miner ! :grin:

Cheers :) RJ

Guy, you could come to Saskatchewan only place in Canada that you can watch your dog leave home for 3 days:).
If I had to do it all over I think that I would living around the Dawson Creek area :mrgreen: you are 40 miles from the mountain & almost every big game animal in NA within a couple of hours!! Fishing is way better than average up there as well :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2g7cw9rs said:
Guy, you could come to Saskatchewan only place in Canada that you can watch your dog leave home for 3 days:).
If I had to do it all over I think that I would living around the Dawson Creek area :mrgreen: you are 40 miles from the mountain & almost every big game animal in NA within a couple of hours!! Fishing is way better than average up there as well :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan you think that because the Dawson Creek area is just as flat as Sask and has wheat growing there to feed the Big Whitetails! :grin:

Cheers :) RJ

Back