Maui

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
Just got back from a week in Maui. Good trip and we had a good time, just kind of kicking back. We did go to the volcano there, and it was very interesting. You start from sea level and go to just over 10,000 feet, in 22 miles. The island is somewhat dry, with shallow soils, so it does not have a large area of jungle. Most of the people live within 1 mile of the coast, and can get really busy early morning and evening. Humidity was a negative and our condo, did not have air conditioning. It's expensive to live there and the majority of the people, rely on tourism for a living. The beaches are narrow, and every point is rocky. Not great surfing, much better on other islands. An OK place, but we would not go there again.

Welcome home. We loved our week in Maui. Hiked and swam every day. I fell pretty hard for the "dry side" of the island, and did a great 12 mile hike through the "crater" which is apparently really just a big valley in the mountain, not an actual crater if I remember correctly.

We did have an air-conditioned condo to retreat into for the afternoons though, and yes, the traffic can get pretty thick.

Guy

We like Maui as well, but I prefer the big island. I can't go anywhere it seems without a fly rod or a fire arm of some kind. Typically all Sande let's me smuggle on a trip is my fly rod. I caught and released a bunch of fish simply walking the beaches and points in the morning throwing a streamer of some kind. I have also hunted the big island for Pheasant, Frocolin and pigs. The pheasants are huge.
Blue water fishing off the big island is also pretty good, but I only get a day or two on any trip to go out. Something about, relaxing cause we're on vacation.

Glad you had a good trip, but you didn't say if you drove down the volcano, or rode a.bike down.:)

Back