Alaska 2016 salmon forcast

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Thought I would throw this out there.
The forecast for sockeye, (red salmon) is 20,000,000 over the average return. Most of these fish will end up in Bristol Bay. This is the largest forecast in 20 years. The trickle down impact to sport fishing is huge. If you've been considering a trip to Alaska, particularly the Bristol Bay region, this would be the year to get it done.
While Kings remain a question what larger then average sockeye returns translate too is less by catch on kings by the commercial industry. Silvers also have been improving through out Alaska as well.
With all those sockeye hitting the spawning streams the trout fishing should be off the charts.

I'm looking forward to putting 50 or so in the freezer during dipnet season. Sockeye are great for eating but I sure miss the Kings for catching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That's quite a forecast!

I'm looking forward to the silver season, this September. Will be fly fishing, out of Cordova.

Guy

If its that good for you fellows in Alaska, then we may expect a decent run this year. Maybe this is the year I need to go over and visit Gerry and Maria. I haven't had fresh salmon in several years, now.

Mike, man does not life on elk alone, he must have salmon. Hope you get down on the coast, given the record salmon runs on the Columbia, B.C. should be seeing some.

"Man does not live on elk alone!" And that was from the Book of Confusion? :grin: Oh, yeah, some fresh salmon once in a while keeps my household happy.

I'm thinking I will have to take a drive this summer to visit the coast.

Back