WABDR, 600+ miles of backroads in the Jeep

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My son and I took our Jeeps to Hood River Oregon, where we met several other off-pavement enthusiasts, "Overlanders" is the currently favored term. From Oregon, we headed North towards the British Columbia border. Along the way we covered 750 miles or so, took part in the Northwest Overland Rally, camped every night, and generally just had a blast!

Here's some photos:

AJ, Josh, Tad and "Diesel" checking out Mount Rainier:

My good buddy Rich with me, up over 5,000' on Bethel Ridge, above Yakima, Washington early:

Son Josh's very well built 1998 Cherokee on the obstacle course at the Northwest Overland Rally, Plain, Washington:

Rich's Jeep, leading a Suburban up a long, steep, tough hill in the summer heat. Rich buys pretty much anything and everything made for Jeeps... :mrgreen: Reminds me a bit of Fotis and pretty Weatherby rifles...

A couple of elk, before sunrise. Taken from camp:

Got pretty close to this 4x4 mule deer buck:

Approaching the high point on our route, Lone Frank Pass, at nearly 7,000' elevation:

We had to clear a few fallen trees from the route:

Tight trail above Lake Chelan, Washington:

Nighthawk ghost town/mine. A post office operated here as late as 1970. Nearly everyone is gone now. Close to the border with British Columbia:

It was a week of my life so full of wonderful things, despite record breaking heat...

Get out there and enjoy life!

By the way, "WABDR" stands for Washington Backcountry Discovery Route." There are such routes in several of the western states now. Just linking together a series of dirt roads, for an interesting experience. We're starting to plan a September trip to Idaho, for their 1,200 mile BDR...

Regards, Guy

That looks like it would be a blast Guy.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

JD338

Great photo essay, Guy. That looks to have been a great journey with some fine friends. I have been through the Nighthawk border crossing some years back, and fished just above the border along the Similkameen. Some fine whitefish in that stream.

Great pics and it looks like a lot of fun. Thank you for sharing Guy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Boy that looked like a great trip with friends and family enjoying the beautiful out doors. Thanks for sharing Guy.

Thanks guys! It was a great trip, mostly on dirt roads. We saw a lot of wildlife: mountain goats, mule deer, whitetail, elk, wild turkey, a bald eagle swooping on a duck family, etc...

Didn't do any fishing. We were pushing pretty hard for miles & hours the first two days, trying to make it to the NWOL Rally, where I had an obligation to lead a 4x4 "Jeep" run. The rally was pretty fun. Too many people, too much noise, but good people all the same. Seems like we rarely had time to wet a line. It was particularly hard, driving past my favorite river, the Methow, and not even pausing to toss a fly for a few... Sigh...

Still, great trip! Lots of fun. Oldest son and I bonded better. I'm glad he's gone pretty much Jeep Crazy. Gives us something to do together again.

For more info on this "Overlanding" stuff, check out:

http://northwestoverland.com/

http://expeditionportal.com/4wd/

Regards, Guy

Glad you enjoyed the photos. I took a whole mess of them.

Have a couple more Jeep/Camping adventures coming up this year... All here in the Northwest.

Guy

We'll all enjoy your recounting the trips through your photography, Guy. Looking forward to your time afield in the Jeep. (y)

Hmmm. Just did the whole doggone trip AGAIN, with a mostly new group of folks. Photos to follow.

The Jeep is dirty, and needs some maintenance. About 1,200 miles of dirt roads in 2.5 weeks.

Yup, it did well. Time for me to take care of it!

Guy

Should be another fine photojournalistic account of the beauty of the State. :grin:

Back