Pa elk

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
went to Benezette ,Pa yesterday to look around for elk . we also stopped in the elk viewing center . here are a few pics . the pics are dark since we were there at daybreak . we heard a lot of mews and we had one bull bugle . on the way home I helped a very short legged critter to get across the road . he was getting pisssssssed at me .

You didn't chop the head on that buzzworm?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Talk about a success story! PA elk have made an amazing return. I always enjoy reading about elk in numbers permitting hunting where they were not found for decades.

Vince, In PA and MD the eastern diamond back are protected and your not allowed to kill or molest them.

Jim I've seen Elk up next to Lewistown Pa. several years ago they were a sight to be hold in the wild.
What part of PA is Benezette in I would like to take the wife up so she can see them.

yes , the rattle snakes are protected . there was a guy just killed from a rattler last week , in this area . the snake was in a wood pile and he went for wood .

Dr Mike , I think the elk herd population is estimated to be around 700 now .

Truck driver , I've never heard of them in the Lewistown area . I know they are spreading out some .

the elk range is in north central Pa . I'd guess it's 2 hours from Lewistown . I live in Philipsburg and it's about an hour or a little more for me .there is not much up there . a few towns that are in close proximity would be . Benezette , Medix Run , Saint Marys , Weedville . there are a few bed and breakfast in the town , and a few places to eat . you would probably enjoy it . if I were you , I'd probably wait a month or so . this way they should be more vocal , and easier to find to look at . if you decide to go let me know , I'll pass along a little more info on places to go to try to see them . here is a link to the elk center .

http://elkcountryvisitorcenter.com/drupal/

Elk will get around...The TN herd is somewhere around 600 last I heard, and they have been spotted quite a ways from where they were introduced.

The Eastern Diamondback isn't a snake to be taken lightly...very potent venom in that one...it can and will kill you.

The snake in the OP's picture isn't an Eastern Diamondback...its a Timber Rattler...

Eastern Diamondbacks have a much more aggressive scale pattern...a more attractive looking snake, if there is such a thing.

Diaimondbacks have the diamond shape...Timbers have bands, more or less.

Jim,

A few years back, I was invited to hunt deer at Trout Creek Hunt Club in St Mary's PA. In one of the drives, I had a 6x6 bull elk come busting in on top of me. He put the brakes on at 25-30' away, looked right at me and turned inside out......gone.
That was an awesome experience.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

JD338

heck JD , I can remember reading about guys deer hunting and shooting an elk by mistake . this would be years back when the elk herd was starting to grow . I've often wondered how in the heck could you not notice the difference . a good deer around here will go 140lbs ,with antlers measuring 100 or 120 .

Some years back we had a few city slicker rambo type hunters shoot a White Mule for an albino deer. So you figure, it's people like this that give hunting a bad name.

truck driver":1tcleh8o said:
Vince, In PA and MD the eastern diamond back are protected and your not allowed to kill or molest them.

Jim I've seen Elk up next to Lewistown Pa. several years ago they were a sight to be hold in the wild.
What part of PA is Benezette in I would like to take the wife up so she can see them.
No offense but I believe the only good buzzworm is a dead one.

I'm glad I live where I do. It's not illegal to kill them.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I posted here once but it disappeared? That rattlesnake is Crotalidae Horridus, Timber Rattler. I have stepped on enough both here in Washington Cascades and in Maine to know one when I see it. Diamond backs have a different color scheme and diamonds on their back. I have dealt with a few of those as well. There are no Eastern Diamondbacks (Crotalus Adamanteus) in the Appalachian Chain, north of the Carolina's.

Please do not erase my post this time?

Back