Idaho and Colorado??

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
My wife and I are looking at traveling to Wyoming this summer. After Yellow Stone, we are thinking Idaho and Colorado.

Are there any must see/do things that we need to participate in?

Fun! Estes park in Colorado is nice. Not sure if your staying in hotels or not, but with the legalization of weed, the less expensive hotels in co have a perma-smell of pot. I'm sure the more expensive hotels are better.

Rocky Mountain N.P. the Fall has a lot of action with all the Elk, but you'll still see Big Horn Sheep, and more Elk then you can see just about anywhere even in the summer. Ketchum ID, nice little town in the high desert, the Saw Tooth Wilderness Area just North of there. Pure wilderness with a lot of hiking trails and great camping.

Oh, the Grand Tetons are a must see and visit. Jackson WY has plenty of great eats and hotels to stay in while there. You could raft the Snake River South of Hoback Junction or in the Grand Teton N.P. South of Hoback Junction has the best water if you like White Water rafting? You'll enjoy the Lunch Table section!

There's good camping around here as well if you're doing that?

From the Jackson Area a nice day's drive will take you to the Sun Valley Area and then into the Sawtooth Range. The greatest block of wilderness runs to the west of there through the heart of Idaho. Thousands of square miles of designated wilderness and roadless areas. The Salmon River starts there near Stanley and ends up entering the Pacific near Astoria Oregon. Another day and you are in the north central Idaho and and Sandpoint, a truly remarkable place of lakes and mountains. Idaho closely rivals Colorado in scenic beauty just not as many 10,000+ mountains and a whole lot more "grounded" residents.

Back