Jeeps in the Cascades!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Got up into the Cascades above Lake Chelan, here in Washington yesterday. We were trying to get to a favorite campground of mine at 5,800', but the snow drifts eventually became too much to deal with. We also cut 6-8 fallen trees out of the way. I just carry my bow saw most of the time. Sometimes we'll bring a chainsaw too. Good fun, with good people and some good dogs. What a great area! I've hunted mule deer and black bear here. There are also mountain goats & bighorn sheep in the area, along with wolves and cougar. I also hunt grouse and chukar in the "hills" above the lake:

Had the .45 on my belt, and a .30-30 with a box of Winchester factory 170 gr soft-points, just in case something needed to be shot. That didn't happen, doggone it! :)

Lake Chelan is a neat destination, for hunting or not. Excellent fishing in the lake, and in nearby waters. The lake is a marvel... It extends 50 miles!!! Is only about a mile wide, and is one of the deepest lakes in North America, at about a quarter mile deep. Although it's a natural lake, there is a small dam & spillway on one end, where the water can go through an incredible gorge, down to the Columbia River.

Big fellow in the photo with me is a great guy. Much younger than me, he's a staunch conservative with strong values. He and I enjoy the heck out of getting out in our Jeeps together for a day every now and again.

Regards, Guy

Excellent pictures, as usual, Guy. Sure beautiful country there.

Sure looks like fun Guy. Man rub it in a guys face. I had a 85 Jeep CJ-7 and sure wish it was with me. Those darn things are about unstoppable and if you can drive on it you can pretty much figure you can turn around on it! Chained up on all fours and man can a guy really get stuck!

My son's Jeep, up above Lake Chelan today, clearing away the last fallen tree from another route. He and his girlfriend sure handle that Cherokee and all the recovery gear well.

Guy

A winch is a very good thing as are a couple of come-alongs for those that do not have a winch! I have a bow saw and an old crosscut saw I carry in my pickup for timber just like you guys do. You don't need it often, but it sure can come in handy.

Back