Canada's Wine Country!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Yesterday my wife and I hopped into our trusty Ford Explorer, and headed up the road a few hours into British Columbia's wine country. First stop was a great little bakery along the Columbia River, in Pateros, Washington:

Crossed the border no problem. We must be old enough to look "respectable" anymore.

Laughed at a sign in British Columbia... :grin: No picnics on the picnic tables? Actually, those tables are for campers. Must keep the pesky picnic people away from authentic campers!

We'd picked a lovely day for the auto-tour. Beautiful blue skies and bright sunshine made spring seem just around the corner. Saw large herds of bighorn sheep, near the highway in both Washington and British Columbia, but I didn't tarry to take any photos. Next time perhaps.

Ate a good meal in Penticton, BC, at the "White Spot" and enjoyed a glass of a local red blend. My goodness, what a meal and a very nice glass of wine!

You didn't know Canada had "wine country" ? Well... They do, and on another, longer tour, we'll explore more of the numerous wineries in the area from the Washington border to Penticton, particularly around the towns of Oliver and Osoyoos .

http://www.winecapitalofcanada.com/

To make this somehow, if ever so remotely, fit the Nosler forum.... I did see a sign advertising the Kettle River Outfitters for moose & bear hunting!

http://kettleriverguides.com/

I have no idea if their services are good or not, but it's a cool website with lots of hunting opportunities. I've fished BC several times in the past, with excellent results!

It was a great day!

Guy

Oh, and although we were in Canada, we didn't see any of our Nosler Forum Canadian friends! :mrgreen:

What, you came to B.C. and didn't say hi? It was only another 16 hours or so to come for a visit ;)

It is very nice country, I have only been as far south as Kelowna so far though. We wait every year in August for the peaches to get ripe from the Okanagan and make their way north, always a treat :) Lots of mule deer there and some good populations of California bighorn sheep. Tough to draw the latter permit but mulies are over the counter tags.

And yes that picnicking sign is quite odd but what do you expect from the government these days :roll:

Yes, British Columbia does have a wine country. The wines produced are considered to be high quality. You were in a lovely area of our province when you were in the Okanagan Valley, Guy. I've fished many of those streams for years (including the Kettle River, the Similkimeen and the Tulameen).

The one thing I can thank my soon to be ex-wife for is fostering my growth in wine.

Great pictures Guy and I'm glad you and the Mrs had a good time. I will have to seek out some of this Canadian vino to give it a taste.

Any Canadian members coming down to Arizona anytime soon that would like to bring me some samples?

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well ya, I'm "retired" other than running a small training/consulting business, and she's still working 40 - 50 hours a week. But it was a mighty nice way to spend a Saturday.

Today we cleaned the house and I went grocery shopping. Both of us go back to work tomorrow morning. :grin:

Guy

Guy that is a very beautiful area in BC. A number of years ago a group of us made a golf holiday in that area we started in Osoyoos and worked our way north to Penticton we had quite the time as there are many very challenging golf courses. I am not a wine drinker but a number of the guys really enjoy a number of little wineries along the highway. I do remember one that was at a little place called Ok Falls we hit it on a Saturday where for $10.00 you got a beautiful BBQ steak supper and free wine :).
Thank you for the beautiful photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

Okanagan Falls is a wide spot in the road, but it is certainly located in a beautiful setting. There are a surprising number of restaurants situated along the highway, many of which offer a fine meal at a reasonable cost.

Back