Seattle, observations of city life

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006

Spent yesterday in Seattle, doing some self-defense training for a corporate client. I have to admit that I'm really not much of a fan of big cities. Too danged many people crammed into too small an area for my liking. But, they're not all bad. Enjoyed seeing all the different cultures, catching little snippets of conversation as I walked along, or while I was having a cuppa coffee on the corner.

The folks in our cities live an entirely different life than I live in a small, rural city/town. And radically different from those who live out in the country, on a ranch, farm, or just up in the hills. No wonder they have different views on things.

I happened to be in an area populated mostly by tech-type people. They bus to work. Live in apartments. Work in cubicles. I was impressed that most of them do have cars and do use them for weekend trips out of the city. Talking to them, I did find that much of my knowledge of things, and some of my attitudes, seemed rather dated. But they liked my message of being able to protect themselves and we did some good training.

It was hard to not feel: old, big, perhaps a bit outdated... I tell ya, those city fellows? Most of them look weak as kittens. Some are big, but dang, I didn't see many who looked very fit. Somebody is doing something right with the ladies though. Yoga? Bicycling? Whatever they're doing, it's working.

Enjoyed the good coffee, and also enjoyed one heck of a nice snack before hitting the road. I hadn't had charred octopus in a long, long time. It was even better than I remembered.

It was a real nice drive back home, over the Cascade Mountains, back to where I belong.

Guy

After years of city life (New York City, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Vancouver, BC) we decided we were happy to be back in smaller communities. I have friends and former students in the Sea-Tac area, but I do believe I can live the remainder of my life without living in such a city.

Funny, I was in Seattle at the same time. I was down on the docks loading a container for Alaska, Wrestling a 90 horse outboard out of my pickup. A twenty something longshoremen walked by said hey gramps let me get that. Handled it like a short case of beer. Damn kids. That being said I drove out to my old department on the east side, having read Guys post while waiting to weigh out. Lots of pudgy guys, skinny guys and pudgy skinny guys. Lots of fit looking women. I must have had all wrong as a young man, what the girls were looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theres some special people in seattle. not a fan of big cities. i grew up in the midwest where there is at least 10 miles of gravel roads between towns. not just a sign on a road saying welcome to seattle or leaving bellevue.

All this talk about hot ladies, and not a single pic. It seems like a rule is being broken, somewhere. :)

I'm not a city person either Guy and I really don't care to visit them and don't if I can help it. Driving a tractor trailer for a living got me into the industrial areas and some of the worse places where the 2 legged animals exist. I don't need all the hustle and bussle or the night life.
Yep Green acres is where I want to be and the Country life is for me.

I don't mind Seattle, it's all the people I can't take:). Seriously, the last 5 years traffic in the Puget Sound area has increased significantly. Going back and forth to the convention center last summer was 2 1/2 hours each way. I started staying in town after the convention to go out to dinner, thinking I could beat the traffic, it would still take almost 2 hours to make it home at 7 o'clock in the evening.

Rodeoing taught me to get along in a big city, small town, or middle of nowhere.

By choice I now live 100% off the grid about 28 miles from town. I work in a different city than the one listed on my mailing address. Work is 2 1/2 hours from my house. On my days off I avoid going to town as I enjoy the solitude.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back