North Cascades weekend

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Headed out with a group of friends in Jeeps, Toyota Land Cruisers, a Ford Ranger, and a..... Porsche? Yes, a Porsche Cayenne! :grin: We had a great weekend. Couple of small mechanical problems. Lots of fun. Here's some photos of our 170 mile dirt road journey from Lake Chelan to the Canadian border:

2QWIyRHl.jpg

Dirtiest Porsche in the world perhaps? The good folks who own and drive this thing are wonderful and have competed in many rallies, including the 5,000 mile AlCan rally, during the winter! Lots of dirt road experience. It's been interesting, watching them modify this wonderful machine into more of an off-pavement rig. It's got a full skidpan covering under the entire body, a built in/hidden Warn winch, very sophisticated 4wd system, a turbo diesel that produces great torque. The range on one tank of fuel is 500 - 740 miles, depending on conditions! 500+ miles of off-pavement driving... I wish my Jeep had a motor like that! Good folks and a really interesting, if dirty, Porsche!
D46zH3Xl.jpg

My son's nicely set up 1998 Jeep Cherokee. Has a 5" long-arm suspension, 33" Mickey Thompson mud tires, 4.56:1 gear ratio with air-activated Ox lockers in both differentials. Heavy duty axle shafts. Warn winch, etc... It's quite a rig. I laugh and joke with him about dumping $10k or more into his 20 year old Jeep Cherokee that might be worth $3,000, but he loves that machine and it works really well. Incredibly smooth ride over all sorts of nasty bumps. That suspension just soaks it up, no problem. Very cool. Also, enough high quality lighting up front to make it doggone near daylight out in front of it at night on the trail:
JrOSUDBl.jpg

Ruby Grade outside of Cononully, WA. Population 210. Or so.
I8YeKQAl.jpg

The crew:
zzWclLPl.jpg

That's Canada behind us! :)

I love traveling and camping with these wonderful folks from Northwest Overland! And yes, my .30-30 rifle and my bear tag were along, just in case.

Guy

Looks to have been a great time for all of you. Wow! A Porsche! Too much, but it does sound as if it is up to the task.

I've not done too much in the way of 4 wheeling, other than getting in and out of camp. Looks like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":riaf5d72 said:
I've not done too much in the way of 4 wheeling, other than getting in and out of camp. Looks like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use them to explore cool old roads, get to ghost towns, see interesting places where there's not a good paved road. Most of us are not real interested in "rock crawling" or "mudding" or that sort of thing, we just like to poke around interesting areas, and a good truck or Jeep will get us there. Kind of like backpacking, but with a vehicle.

Guy

Thanks for the post Guy :wink:.
Guy you could start a business in Photography those are some great photos (y) !!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2iqugcih said:
Thanks for the post Guy :wink:.
Guy you could start a business in Photography those are some great photos (y) !!

Blessings,
Dan

Well thank you, I just snapped 'em with my cell-phone camera. We had a couple of serious shutterbugs along with very fancy cameras, I'm hoping to see their photos someday.

Guy

Looks like a great time Guy! Pretty cool to see that Porche out there with the rest! What is the purpose of that bag hanging off of the spare? I've seen them on a bunch of off road vehicles and didn't know if it's for chains, or other equipment or if it is a glorified trash bag! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's a glorified trash bag.

I've got one, use it sometimes. On a longer trip, it is kinda nice having the trash OUTSIDE of the vehicle, particularly if it's stinky trash. :)

Guy

I totally understand keeping the trash on the outside. Good idea, but the spare on my 4runner is underneath so I guess I'm riding with the trash inside!

Back