Stehekin!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Stehekin is an old Indian word for "You can't get there from here." :grin: Actually it's a small village at the far end of 50 mile long Lake Chelan, in the North Cascades, here in Washington.

I have hunted, fished, hiked, camped, backpacked, and generally roamed the area, but my wife has NEVER been there. Nor had she ever been in a helicopter. For her birthday, we solved both of those issues, taking a ride in a helicopter, to Stehekin and back! She's beaming! Enjoyed the ride. She was in the front seat for a great view!

Our giant helicopter. I helped wind the rubber band:
gReqPILl.jpg

Mama Miner enjoyed!
lkISYTQl.jpg

YPxoqKUl.jpg

Lake Chelan, 50 miles long, a mile wide, and a quarter mile deep:
GWdAWdyl.jpg

Quite a road! Leads to Holden Village & Mine:
WszU5uMl.jpg

Stehekin River:
AaLGS6Gl.jpg

Kokanee (landlocked salmon) in the Stehekin River:
jc4MrPvl.jpg

Prince Creek, north shore of Lake Chelan:
AvPPMFIl.jpg

Terrain is kinda steep:
6BdHFrkl.jpg

One heck of a nice, short trip. My first time in a helicopter that wasn't USMC or SWAT associated!

Guy

That was a great Birthday present for your wife.
Beautiful pictures Guy.
Thanks for sharing.

Very beautiful, looks like some excellent deer and elk country ;) Do you fish for the Kokanee before they head up into the stream to spawn? I can't recall if you fish for them or not.

A most meaningful gift, Guy. I can imagine that she was beaming.

gerry":3uw24bdb said:
Very beautiful, looks like some excellent deer and elk country ;) Do you fish for the Kokanee before they head up into the stream to spawn? I can't recall if you fish for them or not.

I haven't fished for the kokanee, but yes, people do fish for them in the lake.

Mule deer, mountain goat, and black bear are the most common big game in these mountains above the lake. Not many elk in this area, a few moose, not many. Some wolves now, and if a fellow was intent on finding a grizzly in Washington State, this would be a good place to start looking.

Guy

WOW .... Beautiful pictures, and what a wonderful B-Day gift Guy! I've been to Lake Chelan boating a few years ago, pretty place and I loved the clear water!

Back