Wandering Central Washington

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
A favorite trip of mine, I spent the weekend with good friends, wandering and camping in the sagebrush covered hillsides & canyons of Central Washington, just a hop, skip and a jump from home. It's a mildly challenging 4wd route. This fall we enjoyed terrific weather! Sunny, with highs in the 60's and a fair bit of wind. Last year? Same trip, some of the same folks, and we got snow! :)

I'll post up some photos I grabbed today & yesterday, sort of explain the trip that way.

Allstown (or Alston) a semi-ghost town in wheat country:
DRk47Fpl.jpg

Moses Coulee - part of the "great floods" when the ice dams broke. Now ranches, and a bizarre failed 1970's resort community...
KRK8UzNl.jpg

Just up from the entrance to Slack Canyon. That's Douglas Creek running below. This country is vast. I often hunt here for mule deer & chukar, sometimes for coyote:
sf8mtJ9l.jpg

The fall leaves are mostly gone, the wind has stripped them away. These are in a sheltered canyon and remain. For now:
1JjMSHFl.jpg

Crossing Douglas Creek on Saturday. No, that's NOT my Jeep! :) Belongs to my friend Judy. Our Jeeps are near twins. Hers is an actual Rubicon, mine is a pretend Rubicon. ;)
NE2ajVPl.jpg

Judy's Rubicon climbing the rocky slope on wet tires:
IT2hE1Kl.jpg

JR is Judy's husband, driving his old Toyota and doing a mighty fine job of it. 325,000 miles on that thing now!
0oMBxG4l.jpg

JR built last night's campfire!
iDNSt1Al.jpg

My campsite:
IAisgNal.jpg

Breakfast this morning. A three-egg omlette, with jalapeno pepper jack cheese and some overly scorched onion bits, as well as some good coffee:
lbfVMSIl.jpg

Today, on the way home. I live in the valley below, where the Columbia River flows:
Jra0jVPl.jpg

Great weekend, great people, pretty good weather, incredible scenery. Quite a bit of wildlife, but sightings were fleeting. I had my 30-30 Glenfield in the Jeep, and a compact 9mm Kahr on my belt. We were a pretty well-armed group. Some of the route we took out of there today was pretty danged hairy. Everyone handled the steep climbs, washouts, rocks etc just fine. :)

Guy

That is a great photo essay, Guy. That is a pretty hot campfire, by the way. Lovely country, to be sure.

Back