160 gr .338 Barnes

Gunner46

Handloader
Jan 12, 2015
I'm thinking I'm a'gonna give these a try, along with some some 200 Speers, and 210 PT's out of my 338 Fed in my initial trails. Got some spares ?

I should think that 160 grain Barnes TTSX will work quite well. Projections from QL with A2520 (a favourite powder in cartridges built on the 308 case) will generate 2950 plus fps in the cartridge. That is ample velocity to ensure that the pedals open while driving the bullet deep into whatever game is shot with it. Recently, I've been focused on 180 grain AB and 200 grain E-Tip in my 338 Fed. I know for a fact that the 200 grain E-Tip will topple a moose. Can't see why the 160 TTSX won't work well for you.

The 185 put the smack down on a bull moose for my buddy's kid a few years ago in his 338 fed. I don't see why the 160 wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I regularly use 180 Nosler ballistic tips on whitetail deer out of my 338 Win mag. Puts the smack down on them. Longest shot so far 250 yards

Just guessing but a 160gr .338 bullet should have about the same BC as a Halloween pumpkin. :) Although those big pumpkins seem to do pretty well out of those catapults!!

gunner you find what you need?

i went with the logic of "if a 160 was good out of my 280, it should be fine out of my 338-06" so far only thing i've gotten was a coyote but I figure will do just fine with bear/deer

Nope, haven't found any 160 samples yet, but I did put a hurt on SPS's inventory of 200gr AB's while they were available !

3B & me are still getting to know each other, so I'm in no rush. Just trying to figure out what she likes.

Back