WTB - 358 Premium Bullets for Testing

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
Posted this in another forum with no joy, so I thought I'd try here. Looking to buy a few premiums to assemble some dummy rounds for my smith, in order to throat the barrel correctly.

I am getting ready to have another 35 WAI built, and will be using the same smith that built my first one (same reamer). I shoot only cast in my current rifle, so I don't have any jacketed stuff at all. This next build is going to be an M70 Featherweight, and I don't plan on dedicating it to cast only, so it needs to be able to digest various loads..

Looking for heavies, as shorter bullets aren't going to be my issue. I would like to try and find the following:

310 Woodleigh
270 North Fork
280 Swift
250 Speer Hot Cor
250 PT
225 AB

I only need one of each, in order to make dummy rounds for testing. If one of you has all or most of these and wouldn't mind selling one of each, that would be great, because then I don't have to pay for shipping from 6 different people!

Let me know your price.

Thanks

I don't have everything your asking for or I would send them to you but I think you can narrow your search some by asking for the bullet length off the Metpat or Give.
I measured what I have and here's what they are -
225gr Sierra = 1.60"
225gr AB = 1.619"
225gr PT = 1.580"
250gr PT = 1.671"
250gr Speer HC = 1.622"
200gr TTSX = 1.667"

If some who has the others could measure them you could take the longest or shortest and seat it to magazine length and get your length to lands for your throat I think but not sure about it.
I may have to pick up some 225gr Barnes just to see if the length is longer.
I had mine set up with a long throat basically because I didn't know what I was doing and is not quite as long as a Remington factory chamber but still can't reach the lands with any bullet seated to magazine length.

I hesitate to state this because of the border. I have all of the bullets you are seeking save for the North Fork bullets, and I'd be happy to send you a sampling. However, the US gets antsy whenever someone living outside of the States send a bullet into the USA.

DrMike how about measure the ones I didn't as I'm curious which ones are longer. I used my Hornady comparator .

What I am trying to do is make some dummy rounds and chamber them in the first gun he built me. I have no clue what will chamber at the moment, since my cast bullets are bore riders. Can't measure a bore rider like a normal bullet.

Dr. Mike, looks like any shipment across the border is a big no-no.

Truck Driver - looks like the 250PT would tell me right off how long or short the throat is. Might not tell me everything, but I certainly wouldn't need all of them on my list.

Can you measure the OAL of them as well?

I have a hot cor 250 and an old 225 ballistic tip, that looks an awful lot like the AccuBond, that I can bag up and send you.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I can easily get 3.340" in the mag ( FN M70). So the issue will be the OAL vs. the Ogive length from the case head.

coop4u2c":2qt2fzhi said:
I have a hot cor 250 and an old 225 ballistic tip, that looks an awful lot like the AccuBond, that I can bag up and send you.

Let me know what I owe you.

Measuring off the tip won't be consistent and it is the Metpat or Give is what will contact the lands when you jam one into the lands.
Here is three that I measured off the tip.
250gr PT = 1.270"
= 1.272"
= 1.269"

truck driver":hd02ah9y said:
Measuring off the tip won't be consistent and it is the Metpat or Give is what will contact the lands when you jam one into the lands.
250gr PT = 1.270"
= 1.272"
= 1.269"

I guess what I was trying to say was, which one has the shortest Ogive, from the base of the bullet, but is the longest from the Ogive to the tip. That should be worst case...correct?

5shot":tep52asa said:
coop4u2c":tep52asa said:

Let me know what I owe you.
Not a thing, just pm me your address and I'll mail them out tomorrow.

5shot":3rbo0dr7 said:
truck driver":3rbo0dr7 said:
250gr PT = 1.270"
= 1.272"
= 1.269"

I guess what I was trying to say was, which one has the shortest Ogive, from the base of the bullet, but is the longest from the Ogive to the tip. That should be worst case...correct?
If you look at the first measurements I gave you you will notice that the 225gr AB has the shortest baring surface and the 250gr PT the longest.
All the boat tail designs will usually have less baring surface due to the boat tail I believe but could be wrong since I don't have access to all the bullet brands.

Got it...I see now. Wasn't thinking straight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5shot":l21i46sr said:
Got it...I see now. Wasn't thinking straight.

Actually I miss read your question and yes the Ab would have the longer nose, give to tip, than the PT. I have no way of measuring this but when I sent mine off I was advised to send a 225gr AB dummy so I would have a chamber that I could reach the lands with the longer nose bullets and still fit the magazine.

I think an 225AB a 250 PT and one of the 270-280 grainers will tell me what I need to know. The 310 might fit in the envelope, we'll see.

I have the 225BT and the 250 Hot Cor coming.

Thanks to coop4u2c I was able to try out the 225BT and the 250 Speer Hot Cor. I'll try a few others before I send the action off, but it will definitely need a longer throat than the Remington he built for me (might have him lengthen that throat too).

Still looking for something in the 270-280 grain range. Don't think I'll be able to find the 310's, as they are pretty specialized.

Thanks

Back