Stock for Mauser 98 long action

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Ive decided that If I want to shoot Dads 7 Mag and do it well I am going to need a different stock. He was 6'4" and I'm 5'8" on a good day. Too much sentimental attachment to cut an inch off the current stock. I Don't need/ want anything fancy but something w/o that high Monte carlo and preferably something I can shorten, or at least take the pad off. Again budget minded.... Any ideas? Thanks CL

You can get a inexpensive stock from Boyd's and finish it your self. Most are drop in or minor inletting and a little epoxy bedding in some cases.

I just checked their web site and they have finished stocks for $129 for a commercial 98 Mauser action.

CL, I have a wooden one off of a 98. Can you send me the measurement between the front and rear bolts. I am pretty sure this one might work

Elkman- the distance between the action screws (center to center) looks to be Seven and 7/8 inches. Don't go through a lot of work to check things out. I have been shouldering the rifle since you posted and I might be able to "get used to it". I need to shoot it and find out. After all, what really made it "Dads" rifle was mostly the scratches, dents and wear and the stories that go with them. I really don't like the monte carlo comb but maybe I can get used to it. Thanks for checking and the reply. I will let you know. CL

I will keep watching for you post. The stock I have is wooden, has a mild check piece, the cutout for the bolt release, and is free if you want it. I will measure it tomorrow.

CL you can't beat that price and could still preserve the original stock.
The generosity of the men and women of this forum is second to none. They're always there when needed.

Back