Reloaded seeking Neck Turner

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I’m interested in starting to
Turn necks on my cases and looking for the appropriate tools.

I was looking for a Hornady neck turner, would also consider forester neck tools as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out K&M if you can. I don’t turn necks on the outside but I have a few I do inside neck ream. They’re a class act company.

Do you have a tight neck chambered rifle that requires it?

I use a tool from Sinclair that I got probably 25 years ago for turning 22 and 6mmPPC. It’s a hand tool with a double sided mandrel. I chuck it in my lathe to turn it and feed the case by hand. I also have a 30-06 Serengeti chamber that I have to turn necks for. It’s a pain in the rear. I have cleaned them up for standard chambers, seeing no gain in my kind of shooting. Perhaps it’s beneficial for long range though.

I would not recommend a Forester neck turning tool . I have 2 of them . they are very much a pain in the neck to get set .there is way to much lash in the cutter adjusting screw . I bought a 21 century tool a while ago , it is a much better tool . I have no experience with the hornady tool .the tools that seem to be highly thought of are , 21 century , K&M , PMA , the obsolete Don Nielson pumpkin had a huge following .

here is a thread I started on turning necks , you might find some info .

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33605

I'll stop here . I don't want to poo poo another one of your threads .

gbflyer":2yb8ekhr said:
Do you have a tight neck chambered rifle that requires it?

I use a tool from Sinclair that I got probably 25 years ago for turning 22 and 6mmPPC. It’s a hand tool with a double sided mandrel. I chuck it in my lathe to turn it and feed the case by hand. I also have a 30-06 Serengeti chamber that I have to turn necks for. It’s a pain in the rear. I have cleaned them up for standard chambers, seeing no gain in my kind of shooting. Perhaps it’s beneficial for long range though.
My mother in law picked up some 3006 brass at an estate sale, basically a 3# coffee can worth.. mostly military head stamps and when I use that brass... every thing shoots basically a bug eye. 150’s-180’s, not picky on powders or primers... I’ve cleaned it and reloaded it a couple times.. it’s heads and shoulders against (Rem FC Barnes, Hornady and WW). I tend to think the previous owner was a competitive shooter... So speculation on my part..it had turned necks. I only recently started annealing...

None of my rifles are so tight I need to turn a neck.

Just one more step in learning..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SJB358":yhawmggi said:
Check out K&M if you can. I don’t turn necks on the outside but I have a few I do inside neck ream. They’re a class act company.
I will. The focus on the Hornady was basically on its affordable..

jimbires":1fhdi1go said:
I would not recommend a Forester neck turning tool . I have 2 of them . they are very much a pain in the neck to get set .there is way to much lash in the cutter adjusting screw . I bought a 21 century tool a while ago , it is a much better tool . I have no experience with the hornady tool .the tools that seem to be highly thought of are , 21 century , K&M , PMA , the obsolete Don Nielson pumpkin had a huge following .

here is a thread I started on turning necks , you might find some info .

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33605

I'll stop here . I don't want to poo poo another one of your threads .
Well, glad you mentioned the forester. I had a Sinclair trimmer, it worked really well, just didn’t like how slow it was..I’ll check 21 century. I found them, but didn’t know anything about them...

What poohpoo?

I am not ashamed to learn from others!

I sleep good at night...

I didn't want to turn your wanted to buy into a discussion thread .

going from memory , I'll say the Forester has about 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn of lash on the cutting depth adjusting screw . so if you want to back it off a touch , you need to back it off about 1 turn then start again . I got 2 of these set , locked the cutter set screws , and don't touch em .

I don't have a lath style neck cutter ,so I'm not talking from hands on experience . so for what it's worth ; I would not want that style , it's to rigid . you need a little wiggle room . new brass isn't always perfect . by using a hand held cutter things can move to allow a true cut even if the neck is a little off . if a crooked piece of brass is held rigid , and the cutter is held rigid , I'll bet the neck is cut uneven . another thing is the fit on the mandrel . the more clearance you have the more variation in thickness you can have . they sell expanding , and cutting mandrels . I have the century 21 cutter tool with the correct angle cutter . I have the expander , and cutter mandrels . I also have the expander mandrel sets that he makes in 0.0005 ( half thousandths ) increments . I use these to get what I think is about a perfect fit . I fit it tighter than the expander mandrel makes it . I seem to be getting a nice piece of brass when I'm done . if my memory is right , K&M uses a smaller diameter mandrel than the other brands . you can buy a adapter to use the small Dia 0.340 mandrels in the large Dia tools 0.375 . I use the K&M inside neck cutter , but I hold it in a drill chuck . if you've messed like this a little before , you know the thinner necks will size a little different in the die .

Back