Eastern Oregon Ranchers being railroaded

For some years the Federal Government in the guise of the BLM has acted in what appears to be a tyrannical manner against western property owners and land users. Tensions are obviously high and have increased for some time. Without some form of redress tensions are likely to increase. I pray for peace in Oregon, and in other western States, but peace will be difficult to if federal lawyers and liberal newspapers push for a showdown.

First I will say: I don't understand the BLM's of the west and I don't agree with the fact that the government tried to keep this family from accessing their lands but I can look at this in two ways:

-most are looking saying "the government is screwing these people" which I don't necessarily disagree, but we all get it from the government on occasion

-the land belongs to the government, ranchers are leasing it, when the lease is up or you quit paying you don't have the right to use it for business purposes any longer (being government land it should still be available for recreation)

Here in the eastern US farmers own land or rent land, if they don't pay the rent the lose the use of that property. If the demand for a particular style of land is increased there is a good chance the next contract price will reflect the increase in demand, so you pay up or walk away. If I don't pay my rent I don't have the right to go sit in my land-lord's house....

I work in the ag industry so I can sympathize with people having a tough time. But I sometimes have to wonder if some of the "ranchers" in the west are like the "farmers" in the east that feel "entitled". I run across a few "farmers" here and there that could win the lottery blow it in a week and still blame someone else for why their farm isn't making any money.

Tim629,

If you look at the amount of western land owned by the federal government, about 96% I believe, you will see part of the issue.
These lands should be owned by the states but were unconstitutionally acquired as states were admitted to the Union.
It's not as simple as ranchers leasing the land and not paying the rent.
The federal government is working to shut down the western agricultural business under the guise of federal laws and agency policies.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The red is federal land.
Maybe this will help to show why some of us want the federal boot off our throat.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1451965467848.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451965467848.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 3,192
No doubt there are two sides to the story, however if all the information presented as background is true, this appears to be a huge injustice served upon the Hammonds.

How can an individual(s) be re-sentenced for a crime after having served the initial sentence? What judge of reasonable intelligence would apply the terrorist act to two farmers in Oregon? Why was the defense limited to one day to present its case when the government prosecutors were allowed 6?

It appears to me that individuals in the BLM are empire building at the expense of private citizens. Does the government's power of eminent domain justify the taking of private land for migrating wildlife? I have personally observed thousands of migrating fowl feeding on harvested grain fields on private land where a public reserve within one mile was also available.

I hope and pray for a just and peaceful resolution for all concerned.

Roland,

The Hammonds and Bundy families aren't the only ones that are forced to suffer at the hands of the federal gestapo.

If you look at how the western states are controlled by the Washington DC power cabal you will come to understand that the western people are no better than a serf to their Washington Lords and Dukes.

Some of us are tired of it and want to breathe free.

Vince

I am completely in agreement with you Vince.. Government should only function to do for us what we need done but are unable to do for ourselves.. Current federal government is totally out of control.

tim629":1wg6poas said:
First I will say: I don't understand the BLM's of the west and I don't agree with the fact that the government tried to keep this family from accessing their lands but I can look at this in two ways:

-most are looking saying "the government is screwing these people" which I don't necessarily disagree, but we all get it from the government on occasion

-the land belongs to the government, ranchers are leasing it, when the lease is up or you quit paying you don't have the right to use it for business purposes any longer (being government land it should still be available for recreation)

Here in the eastern US farmers own land or rent land, if they don't pay the rent the lose the use of that property. If the demand for a particular style of land is increased there is a good chance the next contract price will reflect the increase in demand, so you pay up or walk away. If I don't pay my rent I don't have the right to go sit in my land-lord's house....

I work in the ag industry so I can sympathize with people having a tough time. But I sometimes have to wonder if some of the "ranchers" in the west are like the "farmers" in the east that feel "entitled". I run across a few "farmers" here and there that could win the lottery blow it in a week and still blame someone else for why their farm isn't making any money.

Obviously you do not understand. That ranch was homesteaded way back in the 1870's. The government does not own it. The Hammonds bought it from the original homesteading family, therefore it's still private property. The BLM is and was totally out of line and completely out of control forcing not only the Hammonds from their legally owned property but all the other ranchers who were forced out. BLM is doing this to punish the Hammonds because they refused to bow to Big Brother's will unlike the other ranchers who left.. I may have been born in California and lived there for the first 22 years of my life but since I left 95 percent of my life has been in Nevada and Arizona and am proud to call some ranchers as friends.
All I know about this situation is what I read in the article. The information may or may not be totally correct due to bias. However, I do know the BLM and their tactics. I've run into them way too many times deer hunting in Nevada and here in Arizona. They are one arrogant bunch.
The only land the Hammonds may have leased from the BLM was paid for, so much per head of cattle. They're then allowed to graze the land for a specified period of time after which the cattle must be removed. I know because I've helped on a couple of round ups.
I'm with Vince on this. There is too damn much government intrusion upon our lives and frankly, I don't like it. Neither do most who live out here in the west.
Paul B.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at the spectacle of the standoff in the eastern Oregon desert. It's going to bring some attention to the manner in which the federal government manages public lands in the west, but I'm not sure that the net effect of this attention is going to be beneficial to the users of those lands. The manner in which that attention is being garnered isn't very well accepted by most. I feel bad for all the locals (who didn't ask for this) whose lives are being impacted by the influx of the extremists (both liberal and anti-government) that this is attracting to the area. At this point, I'm just hoping this wraps up sooner rather than later so it doesn't go from comedic to tragic with the actions of some hothead.

I'm inclined to believe that any hotheadedness will likely come from the federal overlords.
Anybody remember Ruby Ridge and Waco? This has been brewing for a long time.

Vince

I'd be very surprised if the Federal folks are the ones to escalate anything in Oregon, exactly BECAUSE of how Ruby Ridge and Waco transpired and turned out. The Feds are playing this very low key, and simply waiting this out. (Interestingly enough, I don't see things blowing up due to anyone from Bundy's group or the Federal Government -- if things go south, its likely going to happen from one of the unwelcome anti government folks that have descended on Burns (some of the individuals hanging around the fringes, and being subtly antagonistic) or one of the locals that finally gets fed up and starts a brawl.)

From what I understand there are federal agents posing as militia.
If anything untoward gets started it's likely to be them acting in their undercover role.
This will allow the blame to be wrongly placed and the media will make the federal government look like the good guys.

Maybe, but I'm a bit skeptical on that one. There are enough anti government folks around itching for a fight that feds masquerading as militia doesn't make sense to me. (One militia group that has shown up since this all started has already been shown the door by the Bundy group, and members of a second one has gotten into a fistfight inside the Refuge grounds with Bundy's group.)

No doubt, that some drawn to this conundrum will be of less savory ethics than others, from both sides.
I think much of the frustration reflected in this ordeal can be summed up with this picture.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1452846480436.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1452846480436.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3,085
Vince":3rrfccww said:
No doubt, that some drawn to this conundrum will be of less savory ethics than others, from both sides.
I think much of the frustration reflected in this ordeal can be summed up with this picture.

I don't disagree with that. Emphasis with both the BLM and USFS the past couple decades has steered away from managing public lands with western users (that make a living off those lands) as a priority, to putting those users low on the totem pole in favor of other interests. Would be nice to find a middle ground.

It does seem that process doesn't much matter anymore, since the ends justify the means. Tragically, what is witnessed throughout much of government bureaucracies reflects the attitudes at the head. This dreadful justification for distorting intent appears to have permeated society. Sad doesn't begin to describe what has happened.

Well I guess it got nasty. A protester was killed by FBI/BLM/OR police out on the public highway Tues. night, and another was injured. Some others were arrested.

Back