Freezing and Canning the Harvest

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
With the Wife up and running again we have started to put the fall harvest in freezer bags and ball canning jars.
This mourning we put 5 dozen ears of corn cut off the cob in the freezer. The 5 dozen ears yielded 28 pints and I think we will get some more from a local farmer so we have 50 pints total. I also buy tomatoes from him to supplement what I grow and have 2 bushel of tomatoes waiting to be canned.
I'm doing something different this year since the wife got sick and it makes it a lot easier on both of us. I bought a Ball electric caner so we wouldn't have to fight the gas burner set up out doors.
We have used it to can 22qts of tomato juice and it works great and saves time. Here's a few pictures of just some of the veggies we have already processed and there is string beans and peas already in the freezer for this winter to feast on.

Attachments

• KIMG0404.jpg
    KIMG0404.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,270
  • KIMG0402.jpg
    KIMG0402.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,270
  • KIMG0401.jpg
    KIMG0401.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,270
Always a great sense of accomplishment to set aside the harvest. Good show, Rodger. Good to hear your wife is up and doing her thing!

DrMike":5lfjzrsp said:
Always a great sense of accomplishment to set aside the harvest. Good show, Rodger. Good to hear your wife is up and doing her thing!
Thanks DrMike,
She is doing very well but still plays out so we try to pace everything she does and I do as much of the work as I can with out getting in the way.

Never looked at it like an accomplishment always something done just in case you couldn't get to a store or have food that you just can't buy.
Besides it sure taste good when you cook it since it's all natural and no chemical preservatives.

There is an old cartoon where the animals are storing food for the winter while a Grasshopper fiddles and makes fun of the hard working animals. When winter strikes the Grasshopper is out in the cold and hungry while everyone one else is warm and has plenty to eat. Finally someone feels sorry for him and invites him in to share their bounty and and saves his bacon.
That cartoon has a moral to the story and I have never forgot it.

I saw the cartoon. However, in nature, when I've seen grasshoppers drop into an anthill, it was the ants that ate ... the grasshopper! :shock:

DrMike":3omlzyrp said:
I saw the cartoon. However, in nature, when I've seen grasshoppers drop into an anthill, it was the ants that ate ... the grasshopper! :shock:
Yep in nature insects don't help each other out and it is a ant eat all world. :wink:

Rodger, we unfortunately are not doing the garden/harvest thing this year as we have had so many time restraints since April, well my wife and I are remedying that now that the final push is almost over here at the church :wink:.
I sure that you and Jane will sit back an enjoy the fruits of your harvest this coming winter, along with some fine dinning on Elk and Venison (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for all the fine comments everyone.
This is a way of life for me since I have been doing it since I was big enough to remember.
I'm a very independent person and I know there will come a time when I won't be able to plant my own food to harvest and preserve so I'm enjoying it while I can.
There is nothing more satisfying then the harvest of the fruits of ones labor.
I can still remember and see my father plowing potatoes with the family car a 1949 Chevy.
He had bought a acre of ground adjoining ours and had borrowed a team of horses to plow it and plant potatoes late in the growing season the vines were still green but he had to get them out of the ground or loss the crop since it was calling for snow in early November and snowed the day he plowed them out using the car to pull the plow since he couldn't get the horses or a tractor. Some one in the family has pictures of that day but I haven't seen them since I was small.

Rodger there is nothing wrong with that way of life :wink:. Unfortunately I am letting life situations control me and that is wrong.
My wife and I have decided that we are going to shift back into second :shock: instead of always being in overdrive :oops:.
Enjoy the harvest my friend.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2jq8jrh4 said:
Rodger there is nothing wrong with that way of life :wink:. Unfortunately I am letting life situations control me and that is wrong.
My wife and I have decided that we are going to shift back into second :shock: instead of always being in overdrive :oops:.
Enjoy the harvest my friend.

Blessings,
Dan
Dan I had my overdrive years also and did give up gardening for quite a while but the last few years I have been able to resurrect the urge and need.

Back