Summer sausage

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Trying the summer sausage for the first time, used 60 /40 beef chuck roast and pork shoulder. Bought a 12 pound sausage stuffer at Bass Pro Shop yesterday, they says its easier to stuff sausages and I believe that now. Used Cabela's Jalapeno Sausage seasoning kit and got 12 pounds stuffed into casings. It's resting in the fridge for 24 hours, and pull to sit in room temp for an hour and its going in the smoker tomorrow. I had forgotten to order the high temp cheese, oh well next time then. Hoping for a great result.
8PSALnpl.jpg

That looks quite interesting. Hard not to like summer sausage, and I'm sure that will taste just fine.

Mark,

It's looking good. And yes, adding the cheese is always a good plan. I am hoping to get started doing the same thing sooner than later. I just picked up 102 lbs of burger, which has beef added to it, from my butcher last weekend. I'm waiting for his call to pick up 40 lbs of pepper sticks. 20 lbs of Black Pepper Cheddar and 20 lbs of Hickory.
You are doing a great job Mark!

JD338

Thanks guys, I'm getting there, internal is at 140 degrees at the moment, need to get it up to 156 and give the logs an ice bath to stop the cooking process.

let us know how it turns out .

I got with guys to make venison bologna , it was a yearly thing . we would boil it until it floated , then hang it in the smokehouse overnight . it was pretty good stuff .

I used to get venison bologna and it was awesome!
One of my favorites.

JD338

I'll give my recipe if anyone likes to try sometime. Unfortunately I cannot smoke lower than 165 degrees on the Traeger, some recommended to start low at 140. I used Cabela's Jalapeno Summer seasoning. I cut 7 lb of beef chuck roast and 5 lbs of pork shoulder into cubes, spread the seasoning on meat cubes and mix well, then grind the meats using 3/8 inch plate, regrinded again using 4.5mm plate and add the cure and about 1 cup of cold water and mix well, and stuff in collagen casings using a sausage stuffer , and let it rest in fridge for 24 hours. The next morning I let the sausages sit at room temp for one hour before I put them in the smoker. Temps was at 165 degrees for two hours using hickory wood pellets, roll sausages every hour to distribute heat better, then increase temp to 170 degrees for two more hours, keep rolling sausages every hour, and final temp at 175 degrees until internal temp is 156 degrees. Once goal is met, drop sausages in an ice bath immediately to stop the cooking process, 15 mins is enough, then dry sausages and let sit in fridge overnight. Tomorrow, I'll cut them into 1 pound sections then vacuum seal and freeze them. When you have a craving, just take one out the night before and let it sit in fridge overnight and eat it the next day with cheese and crackers. :grin:

w8WPx9A.jpg

The final product looks to be excellent. Sorry I can't nip over and try some. I'd even bring my own crackers!

DrMike":bfvxaz26 said:
The final product looks to be excellent. Sorry I can't nip over and try some. I'd even bring my own crackers!
Thank you Mike. If you guys did not live so far away, I'll have you all over for snackings and a cold one. (y)

Looks excellent Mark. How were the first bites?

JD338

TackDriver284":ydkk3doe said:
JD338":ydkk3doe said:
Looks excellent Mark. How were the first bites?

JD338

Thank you, It was delicious and I wished Ritz made oversized crackers. :mrgreen:

dFRwouAl.jpg

WOW!

JD338

SJB358":1l9h0l5r said:
Wow, awesome recipe..

I will have to try that one!

It was my first time and its super easy. Patience does it. Just monitor the temps. Side note, make sure there is no air in the stuffer and stuff the casings good to keep air out. Once the temps are reached, make sure to drop the sausages into a very cold ice bath for 15 mins and dry it and put in the fridge overnight. Cut them into blocks and vacuum seal and freeze them. When ever you get a craving for some on crackers, grab one and put in the fridge overnight to thaw.

Soon I'll try 60% deer and 40% pork shoulder or a pork butt. See how it comes out.

Thanks guys for the nice compliments.

Back